PDA

View Full Version : Corsa V-clamp back installation

stumo
03-14-2006, 13:15
This past weekend I installed a new Corsa 4" exhaust system on my 2002 Duramax equipped Silverado crew-cab, short box. The hardest part of the whole project was deciding which system to buy as there are many good ones to choose from. The only system I could evaluate prior to purchasing was a Banks one and it had an annoying drone to it. The things that led me to choose the Corsa were the fact they claim no drone, stainless (road salt here in MO), Torca band clamps, and the fact that I could buy it from my local dealer. The dealer part was so we would have a mutual understand if something ever happens to this engine. They gave me a great price on it but I did have to buy the downpipe elsewhere as GM doesn't offer it.

Have to say was very impressed looking at all the pieces in the box and do say that it was very well packed. Total install took about 3 hours and that was crawling around on the driveway using all hand tools. Removal of the OEM system was a piece of cake. Had the part rear of the 4-bolt flange off in about 15 minutes. Jacking up the left side of the truck slightly and lowing the spare tire allowed the system to come out easily in one piece. Probably another 10 minutes to get the OEM downpipe down.

Corsa downpipe install was very easy once I found the magic combination of twists & turns to get it in place. Snugged down the V-clamp and proceded rearward. The intermediate pipe, muffler and tailpipe all fit like a glove. The hangers all lined up and were parallel to the upper hangers. Kept thinking this was going all too well. The only alignment that needed done was just to properly position the tailpipe prior to tightening the Torca clamp. With the system all together I went back and tightened every thing up. Road test time :)

Corsa's instructions state that you will hear more noise on a cold engine and they were right. Had a low pitched rumble to it when first started. It kind of barked when the engine was revved too. But after driving an short period and warming everything up. I was suprised how quiet this sytem is. When you jump down on the throttle you hear this nice low frequency rumble but when just cruising I almost think it is quieter than stock. Inside that is. Have no idea what it sounds like on a drive-by yet. I tried driving at every RPM I could and I did not notice one bit of drone. Haven't trailered yet but so far I'm very impressed, especially with the tone. I couldn't tell any power difference just by the seat of the pants and didn't expect much. I bought this mostly to run cooler EGT's when I upgrade to a programmer. A pyrometer install is next then engine tuning.

Like I said earlier, there a many good exhaust systems out there but I really like this Corsa due to it's quiet nature, excellent fit and ease of installation. Plus since I bought it from the dealer I know I'm not going to get chastised for having it on there next time I need service.

YMMV but this one was a winner for me :)

stumo