PDA

View Full Version : Ordering my LBZ tonight or tomorrow...

Quack_Addict
03-31-2006, 11:32
I've decided to swear off my current 6.0L HD's addiction to the pump and marginal towing habits in terrain for a comparable truck only with the D/A powertrain. When my brother's HD with the 8.1/Allison bettered mine in terms of fuel economy recently (by about 2mpg), it was the straw that broke the camel's back.

Here's what she'll be...
Crew cab
8' box
LBZ with the 6-speed Allison, of course
No Cadillac pimp-package here... aside from power locks and windows, pretty sparce in terms of options.

This will be my first totally 'new' vehicle - I usually buy them a year or two old and let someone else take the initial hit on depreciation.

spongebob
03-31-2006, 12:20
thats the truck i ordered.except 4 the power windows...
i love it..im getting 17 mpg so far( i have it loaded with tool boxes and supplys) i have 6000 miles on her.

50+
04-01-2006, 06:43
You wont be sorry. I traded my 6.0 HD last July for the same reasons. I really liked the 6.0. But was pleasantly surprised at the power of the Dmax. I really like it when I hook up the GN.

Quack_Addict
04-03-2006, 07:22
The saga begins Friday early-evening. I was anticipating to place my order at the same stealership that my family has dealt with for many years. We showed up about 6:40pm (had to work a bit late on Friday) only to get the cold shoulder from the salesman who stated "We'll be closing in 20 minutes, best to come back tomorrow." Came back 'tomorrow' and was blessed with another idiot salesman - intent on selling me something off the lot. Unfortunately, they don't stock crew cabs with 8' beds... "There just isn't enough demand for them" he said. "BUT, we have plenty of short bed crew cabs to choose from." I reiterated that I want a crew cab with an 8' box. "That's a L-O-N-G truck - YOU don't want that - the turning radius it H-U-G-E!" At this point, I told Einstein to look out the window at what I drive today. As they have no vehicles that fit the bill for me on their lot, I stated my desire to order... "We'll need a SUBSTANTIAL deposit (as he's looking over his glasses and down his nose at me) before we can place that order for you." Out the door we went. I'll NEVER deal with the yahoo's at this stealership again. I'm tempted to send the Sales Manager a little nastygram - but I think the idiot I dealt with IS the Sales Manager!

Down the road we went to a more local-to-me Chevy dealership. The salesman was VERY nice and helpful. They had a truck on the lot that almost fit the bill exactly (even the right color), but it had about $2500 of options and extras that I don't desire, plus their trade-in value on my truck was in the weeds. He did an inventory search of other dealers and found almost a dead ringer (again in my color) and he offered to do a dealer trade for it, but I still would have been stuck with their trade offer, which they wouldn't budge much on.

Long story short, I placed my order for exactly what I want and estimated delivery is 6-8 weeks. This will give me the time to clean up my current HD and sell it myself - in all honesty, I should easily get around $4500-5k more than the dealer's trade offer. Either way, even a dollar is a dollar...

Quack_Addict
04-26-2006, 05:51
24 days!!!, well 22 days if you consider that the order wasn't submitted until Monday 4/3. The truck came in yesterday and I'll be picking it up on Friday or Saturday.

The dealer claims it is one of the last 2006's off the line.

hapaschold
04-26-2006, 14:45
what , u live up the street from the factory ? i ordered mine couple weeks earlier, had build week of 4/14, but dealer said they always date on mondays which should have been week of 4/17

said his commputer update s orders on tuesday nites, and will let me know if it was built......no word today :(

where do the gmc s get built ?

i m in jersey , where u at ?

Quack_Addict
04-27-2006, 05:56
The dealer I ordered through is in Fenton, Michigan, about 15 minutes down the road from Flint Truck & Bus Assembly where they build the 2500/HD's and 3500's.

The destination charge of $875 sucks - I wish GM would start allowing customer pickups at the plant :)

I placed the order with the dealer on Saturday April 1 but it did not get submitted until Monday April 3. Truck arrived Tuesday April 25.

GMC's get built on the same line as the Chevys. Do you know if they built your truck yet? The dealer should be able to confirm or deny that. Transit time from MI to NJ shouldn't be more than a couple of days by truck or rail.

hapaschold
04-27-2006, 15:56
ha, kinda figured your close to the plant ! congrats on the arrival

called dealer today again for update , no call back..........guess i ll offer same courtesy once it does come in. every day it s sit will cost money

pontiac_m18
04-29-2006, 17:38
If you send me the S.O.N. & T.P.W. WE can let you know when it gets to the shipping yard & you will be somwhat able to follow it home?? Send me a email to = howard_m18@yahoo.com That's = howard_m18 at yahoo.com

hapaschold
05-01-2006, 13:24
tracking was easier today...........since its sitting on the lot ! just came in.... picking up in few days.......

quack, did u pick your s up yet ?

Quack_Addict
05-03-2006, 08:55
quack, did u pick your s up yet ?

I picked mine up Saturday morning. I have about 320 miles on it now and have burned approximately 1/2 tank of fuel so far. I LOVE it :) :) My 2002 with 6.0L gas pig only got about 370 miles to the tank -- both trucks are identical, crew cabs with 8' beds (34 gallon tanks).

I drove the new truck into work Monday and Tuesday to start adding a few miles before my first tow with it in a couple weeks. It rained on my way home Tuesday and about 10 minutes into my 45 minute drive, the windshield wipers started nutting out. The wipers began stopping about 3/4 of the way through their retract cycle in the intermittent function. Turning the switch to off then turning the wipers back on solved it the first couple times. Wiper function continued to deteriorate from there. By the time I got home, the only wiper function that still worked was high speed continuous and switching the wiper control out of that mode causes the wipers to immediately stop where ever they are in the cycle. It looks like the new truck will be getting its first service call already. :(

hapaschold
05-03-2006, 17:34
yeh , our 6.0 2500hd gets barely 350 miles per tank , boss says not bad ? well he picked out truck, bought used 2001, 21k , with plow for 19k at dealer in november 05.

didnt pick mine up yet, dealer didnt call back, i m hoping to get a family plan code would mean another 800 bucks saved.

glad your liking so far, except for wipers......minor if that s all that goes wrong...

Quack_Addict
05-11-2006, 16:49
Just filled up with the second tank of fuel this truck has ever seen.

469 miles on the dealer-provided full tank (not sure how much it was topped off) and burned 30.7 gallons in between, and that does take into account the truck had 8 miles on it when it was originally filled.

Average on that tank is 15.3 MPG.

I plan to keep close tabs on fuel economy as mileage increases... someday I may post a spreadsheet on this site for all to digest.