PDA

View Full Version : 9 degree start

markrinker
12-02-2005, 07:02
Well its that time of year again. Not that I am proud of forgetting to plug in truck #1 - but it started after two glow cycles.

I was pleasantly suprised for an 11 year old work truck with 150K miles.

Dvldog 8793
12-02-2005, 12:51
Howdy Mark-
I've always been impressed by the way my truck starts (new and old engine) I've started it without being plugged in at -20* just to see if it would do it. Started with 1 glow cycle and about 5-8 seconds of cranking. It sounded like the world was coming to an end but it ran. I promptly shut it off and plugged it in for a couple hours. Just one of those things that I had to know...
BTW... I run a triple threat plug-in: On board Battery charger, oil pan heater and the frost plug heater. In -20* with it plugged in for 4 hours the engine oil on the bottom is at 95* when I start.
L8r
Conley
Conley

big61fourby
12-02-2005, 14:28
Dvldog,

What type of on board battery charger are you using? I suspect more of a "trickle" type? I've contemplated adding one, but don't really know if it's worth it. Part of the problem is that I don't always get a parking spot next to the building so I can plug it in. (Side note: a buddy of mine once had a 7.3 F***. Temps dropped to -5 F, and it took forever to get the thing started, mainly because the batteries just wouldn't spin the motor fast enough.)

I must admit, the noise this thing make upon startup without the heater is pretty increadible... :eek: :eek:

Dvldog 8793
12-03-2005, 06:48
Howdy
the brand of charger that I have is an Exide, but I would be willing to guess that it is made by someone else and they could be found with many different names. The one that I have is a 1.5 amp with a control that cycles the charge so it does not boil things. I think the main benifit is that it keeps my batteries from freezing solid. normally this would never happen but I have had it twice in the last 5 years. I just started my truck now and it is 0* out. it cranked fgor about 2 seconds and was running. :D
I also have a VERY heavy duty cable system with Optima batteries. That probably has allot to do with how the truck starts.
L8r
COnley