PDA

View Full Version : Dead Express

wurk_truk
04-01-2006, 11:18
Express died 100 miles from home. Had to get it towed. REALLY unhappy that happened as vehicle has 13k miles.

It appears to me that ABS computer died, and that put the vehicle into limp mode. For the amount of money I paid for this van, this is unescusable. I TRIED to buy reliability, and now in two months, I have been without the van twice. THIS hurts my bottom line and will surely affect my next purchase decision. My gas Ford has 70k and the tires haven't even been replaced yet. The Ford hasn't once seen a service bay except for oil changes. Say what you want, but the Ford's dependability has been outstanding.

JoeyD
04-01-2006, 12:52
Stuff will break, nothing you can do. I hate it when it happens but buying another brand only gets you towed to a different dealer when it breaks.
Repeated problems and I would dump it and switch but it doesn't look like your at that point yet.
What was the 1st problem you had?

hapaschold
04-01-2006, 17:14
my ford van with the 6.0 powerstroke spent 26 days at dealer for a turbo problem.... here s my story over the at thedieselstop

problems arent limited to ford or gm.........my 02 dmax gave me hell also. lots of injector problems....

http://forums.thedieselstop.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=2788614&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=31&fpart=1

wurk_truk
04-01-2006, 18:48
first prob was the pulleys went south and made a terrible squeel. That didn't really bother me, as I also subscribe to the 'nothing is perfect' motto. It just makes me PO'd that a cheap deeply discounted van is trouble free and the most expensive one you can get gets towed.

I was just warming up the the express, too. 18-20 mpg. I did NOT buy a PS Ford for the reason that they are so crappy and thought the chevy would be a big improvement. All-in-all, the Chevy IS a big improvement, but nothing should need towed at 12k miles!

What Hapaschold went through was enough to put me off on a PS F-250 in 04 (I bought a Lightning instead). Some of the horror stories one reads on internet makes my hair stand on end. My big beef is.... no van, no money. A plus in my favor is I have a very competent dealer looking at it Monday. One wouldn't think ABS would put this into limp, but service writer told me it could be any of three computers.

Driving down highway with cruise on. Speedometer goes from 65 to 0 then back to 65; then goes from 65 to 50 to 65; then gear indicator zips back and forth from p to 1 a bunch of times; gear indicator lite disappears; ALL idiot lites come on, go off; then the brake, check engine, and ABS lites come on; touch the brakes to slow down and ABS kicks in and pulses the brakes. The van would drive in first only. To start it took three or four tries; the pedal had NO response. Just weird computer related stuff that I'm sure they can fix. Frustrated none the less.

hapaschold
04-02-2006, 04:25
i see most livery services, along with courier services have switched to either the 5.4 liter gasser or the v10 gasser for towing in the fords. the 6.0 gets around 16.5 mpg which to me isnt worth the extra 5k for the engine vs a 5.4 gasser that gets probally 14 mpg or so.