PDA

View Full Version : 6.5 intake modifications???

signgrafix
04-01-2006, 19:12
I am going to have to take off the intake to install a new FSD/cooler. I am about 90% committted to the FSD cooler over the S-OLD option. Anyway, since I have to take off the intake what modifications should I make to the intake? I know on the gas engines having the runners polished is a good thing but I don't know about diesels. This diesel stuff is all new to me.
Also, what about the injection pump would you go ahead and replace it too while you were there? I don't know exactly how many miles are truly on it but I do know the engine is a factory crate motor. I was told when I bought the truck that it has aprox 70 to 80 thousand on the engine now.

BobND
04-02-2006, 00:48
If you are going with a new FSD and cooler, there's no need to remove the intake.

Simply pop the harness connector off of the old PMD, and fish it out from between the intake and IP, and connect your new extension harness (if used), and mount the new FSD, and connect it up.

signgrafix
04-02-2006, 06:33
If you are going with a new FSD and cooler, there's no need to remove the intake.

Simply pop the harness connector off of the old PMD, and fish it out from between the intake and IP, and connect your new extension harness (if used), and mount the new FSD, and connect it up.
You know that it is me, make things harder than they have to be. I really appreciate the info. If I would looked at it real good I could see where I could just unplug it. I never really thought about just leaving the old one on. I was not really looking forward to taking off the intake.
What would have happened is, I would have just popped off the intake then it would have hit me. duh, just leave the old one on.

stingthieves
04-02-2006, 07:09
If you want a tip on the intake go to John Kennedy's web site - click the tech tip tab on the home page then the 6.2/6.5 tip tab. You will see how he suggests to port the area! Kind Regards, Rick

kevin77
04-02-2006, 09:02
I would remove the snorkle before the air cleaner - it is about 14-16 inches long and (IMHO) one of the biggest restrictions to the air intake - it is over in kennedys tech tips (http://www.kennedydiesel.com/airboxmods.html)

Kevin