PDA

View Full Version : Whats legal?

50+
04-02-2006, 06:32
I pull a 20' Gn trailer with my Dmax. When I am fully loaded my combined weight ( truck and trailer ), will be about 18,000 lbs. I have a 4 ton license on my truck. I got to wondering the other day if I had enough. So I asked a Iowa DOT enforcement officer what I needed. He told me I am ok with the 4 ton plate. I know several people who believe they need enough tonnage on their truck to cover their Gross combined weight rating, ( GCWR ). In my case that would mean a 12 ton license, because my GCWR is 23,200 lbs.
9,200 for the truck and 14,000 for the trailer. I plan on getting more info from the Iowa DOT. Just wondering if anybody knows whats right. I'm sure its probably different state by state.

crafty
04-03-2006, 12:12
Up here in Ontario Canada, we have to be licensed for the total weight of truck, trailer and load. (I also tow a 20 ft. GN trailer and my combined load weight is 10,600 lbs with 1900 of that on the truck.) The fee we pay changes as the weight goes up. I am licensed for 7999 kilograms (17,598 lbs) because if I went for 8000 to 8999 I would pay over $300 a year for my plate. (As it stands now I pay $252 a year.) I cannot tow a trailer weighing over 10,000 lbs without a Class A endoresment so the 17,598 limit covers all my needs. (That is 10,000 on the trailer axles.) The MTO has a habit of checking us "little" guys every now and then so it pays to be legal. I understand that the fines are quite large if you are caught with out all your proper papers. At least I know I am legal.:D :D :D

Hubert
04-06-2006, 08:17
It differs state by state so you'll have to see. You are probably legal in your state of residence but once you cross the line you have to see whats required. Also makes a big difference if you are a private individual or commercial load. Also considered commercial if you compete for money ie competitive race or show for prize money.

I

arveetek
04-11-2006, 08:10
In Missouri, the smallest pickup license we can get is 12,000 lbs. Then we have choices of 16k, 18k, and I believe 24k is the next step up. I have 12k on my pickup, and 18k on my work truck.

I think it would be wise to have plates rated for the max. load you will be hauling.

Again, it does vary from state to state.

Casey

pontiac_m18
04-16-2006, 06:46
What a good looking truck! How is it holding out? I remember taking the pics. for it. I have a 2002 that I bought on E-BAY & flew down & drove it home in 2003. Couldn't resist saying hi!

crafty
04-17-2006, 05:19
Hope things are going well with you. Other than a new flywheel twice and one injector, the truck is doing fine. It turned 5 in December!!!! I currently have about 70,000 miles on it. I really do appreciate those pics you took of the truck coming off the line. Do you know that I am still the ONLY one to order a six speed from my dealer in the 5 years since the Dmax came out????? As stated above, I now have my own trailer to haul my stuff. This combo works great.
A comment to what Hubert wrote above, In Ontario we are considered commercial as soon as the truck and trailer you tow weighs over 4500 kilograms (9900 lbs). You have no say in this if you want to pull that much weight. Some excetions apply. A good explanation of the Ontario regs can be found here: http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/trucks/regulations/annual.htm
Once you are commercial, you must do inspections and a log book. Without those you could be fined if you are stopped. You also are supposed to go through the scales but the MTO told me that when running without the trailer, I can skip the scales.:D :D :D

Craig M
04-26-2006, 12:59
Crafty,

You have a personal license plate close to ours. We have "MAX DSL" for Maxwell Diesel or Maximum Diesel (or Maximum DSL for the computer folks) on our Suburban. But since it is on a 6.2 Natural, you guess which one is correct.

Hillbilly Jim
04-28-2006, 18:04
Actually the smallest plate you can get in Mo is 6000 lbs.
Our truck plates must cover the weight of the truck and loaded trailer.
So basically you have 6,12,18 and 24 thousand pound plates to chose from.
Cost does not increase a whole lot to get the heavier rated license, also at 18 thousand and over you only need a front plate.
Hillbilly Jim