PDA

View Full Version : Can't find article on cooler line fix

Chris611
04-02-2006, 07:37
I have been searching the leaking oil cooler line fix. I saw in several threads that someone wrote an article on cutting the ferrule's off and clamping the hose, but I can't seem to find the article. Anyone have a link?

Thanks
Chris

HowieE
04-02-2006, 13:47
The problem with cutting the ferrule is the inaccessibility of the cuts while the lines are in the truck. I cut mine after I had removed and replaced the old set just to see what was in there. Yes there is a rolled bead on the ferrule that would support a hose clamp as the means of sealing the line.

If you are real talented and have a very small cutting wheel you might try it but you will most likely have to replace the hose because you will almost certainly cut into the hose before you completely cut the ferrule.

I ended up using Greg

rjwest
04-02-2006, 15:18
As a temp fix,

3/4 water hose clamps look exactly like exhaust clamps.

Clamp over the ferral and keep tightning every few days,
taks awhile to seat and squeeze out the oil...
my temp fix has about 20k miles now,

Had a little weep 5k ago retightned,

Best to replace the oil lines with the better than gm
kit

Rodney Walker
04-02-2006, 18:02
I took my cooler lines to a hyd. hose shop. They cut off both ends just passed the hose put a nut on it and flaired the end. Made new hyd.hoses to put back in place,cost $45.00 total

Subzilla
04-04-2006, 07:52
Jim B did the article for the Page but I can't find the link, either. I performed this mod on the Blazer a year ago and it has been leak-free since. I check the clamps a couple times a year just to be safe. I need to do the same to the Sub. I used the rotary cutting tool and easily cut off the existing clamp while only very slightly nicking the very outer surface of the hose - not to worry. The only difficult part was realigning the metal connectors after re-installing the hose. I had to loosing and retightened the clamps while the hose was on the truck (I so meticilously installed them while off the vehicle).

Bnave95
04-04-2006, 11:30
I thought Jim had us to cut the clamp upper and lower, then install the hose clamps. Not removing the hose from cooler.
Also this worked for me. My lines were R&R with OE 4 years ago. Have just notice,not that they are leaking or driping, just seem like a good ideal.
Another thought would be to insure that the line are good enough for this fix.