PDA

View Full Version : For GMCHAULER

DaveNY
04-02-2006, 14:32
Back in April of 05 you posted a few links in reference to timing procedures.I am unable to retrieve them due to a glitch in the system or my incompitence.
If you could find the time to repost them I would be greatful, I think I have a few issues that need some attention in that dept. I have AUTOENGINUITY but no manuals. Maybe can resolve on my own but standby for future post!
Thanks for you time
Dave

GMC Hauler
04-02-2006, 16:30
Are you looking for a procedure to set the TDC offset, timig, or both with the Autoenginuity program?

Let me know wxactly what you are trying to do, and i'll put together what you need:D

DaveNY
04-02-2006, 17:15
Well here it goes and will be as brief as i can.
I had a warranty claim denied on IP. Got into an argument with service mgr and told him to just push the truck outside and I will come and put a filter in it and drive it out of there.About 7000 mi ago 15 mos ago.
I had alot of difficulty getting truck started, finally fired up and got the truck home. Only to find out that the mechanic did not reconect the crank trigger plug.All fixed and still setting codes for pump.Went to Heath remote, Truck ran great but still had code.
Checked with tech 2 and found TDC Offset -2.48 out of range for t-2. Bill says move the pump so I try and loosen the pump and tweek it towards the pass side lose my patience and take a brass punch and hunk of 4x4 and wack the ear to the pump in the correct direction. Bingo -1.61 light clears and buddy with tech 2 sets me up with -1.94, Truck runs great!
PUNCH LINE- I buy the AUTOENGINUITY and hook it up TDC offset -1.67?
So maybe its time to go through the entire timing procedure.
Your reply that interested me was where you had links for timing procedure,tools to move the pump ect. WHEW!!!!!
Dave
PS I now have at Idle 10.2 actual and desired,coolant 190' TDC offset reset to -1.97

GMC Hauler
04-02-2006, 19:25
As far as resetting the TDC offset, all you need to do is hook up the Autoenginuity scantool, and activate the command. It may take several tries to get your desired value. A little trick many of us use is to give the truck a little gas while setting the timing to get it to get different values.

When you use the "Command time" procedure, it causes a desired timing of 0 and an actual timing of 3.5. if you see this, timing is set correctly.

I believe the wrench was a crecent shape 15mm 12 pt wrench. There is an s-shaped wrench, but I found it unnecessary. I got mine through snap on, but check sears. I thought i saw one there recently.

I too, couldn't find the post. When i look for posts i made in the past, it won't come up with the ones before the bulletin board shift.

Scooby
04-03-2006, 04:36
GMC- When using Autoenginuity, do you not have to do the accelerator hold deal to get the TDC offset to learn ?? I had mine done by a guy with a Snap On scanner, and even using that you still had to hold the accelerator down to get in the learn mode. I bought a laptop a year ago, with the intention of getting Autoenginuity, but have not done it yet.

DaveNY
04-03-2006, 14:09
Thanks again,
I reset the offset and checked the timing the actual went to 3.5 but desired didnt move.When I stopped activation timing returned to 10.2 ,truck is running fine and assume Ive got no issues. Strange: everytime I hook up to laptop I have to reset clock in the radio.
Thank for your reply
Dave

GMC Hauler
04-03-2006, 14:40
Thanks again,
I reset the offset and checked the timing the actual went to 3.5 but desired didnt move.When I stopped activation timing returned to 10.2 ,truck is running fine and assume Ive got no issues. Strange: everytime I hook up to laptop I have to reset clock in the radio.
Thank for your reply
Dave
Glad it worked out for you. Sounds like it is set where you want it.

I have no clue about the clock on the radio, except maybe there is a bad ground somewhere that you are agitating when you touch the OBD II connector.

GMC Hauler
04-03-2006, 14:49
GMC- When using Autoenginuity, do you not have to do the accelerator hold deal to get the TDC offset to learn ?? I had mine done by a guy with a Snap On scanner, and even using that you still had to hold the accelerator down to get in the learn mode. I bought a laptop a year ago, with the intention of getting Autoenginuity, but have not done it yet.
You do not need to use the accelerator pedal trick to clear the TDC offset and cause a learn. The Autoenginuity program will do that for you. The trick I speak of is to slightly vary idle speed while activating the TDC learn command. It allows you to achieve a greater range of adjustment than would normally be achieveable by just activating the command alone.

rjwest
04-03-2006, 16:31
Make sure engine is warm, I think the Laptop programs
can force a tdco learn while it is not at operating speed,
and not get a good TCO learn number.

on 96 and newer, My opinion, do the key/throttle
clear of the TDCO, check the tdco with the computer, should be 0.0 ( cleared ) and when engine coolant temp raeches
170 degrees, bingo, you here the TDCO learn take place,
and it shows up in the computer....

GMC Hauler
04-03-2006, 16:37
Make sure engine is warm, I think the Laptop programs
can force a tdco learn while it is not at operating speed,
and not get a good TCO learn number.
The Autoenginuity program can force a learn while not at temperature.

I don't think it matters whethere it is warm or not, as long as you are only adjusting TDC offset and you get the number you want.

DaveNY
04-03-2006, 19:11
Was on phone with Jay and he has no clue to the clock either. but it didnt do it today? One other thing is I show a battery voltage of 14.4 but ignition voltage of 25.50, I am familiar with Caterpiller 3406E which steps up the injection voltage to 110 volts, is this similar case with 6.5 or got problem with autoenginuity progam?
Always something
DAVE

GMC Hauler
04-04-2006, 01:07
You may have a problem with the autoenginuity program.

f1rst, make sure you have the latest version.

Then, tell Jay about it.

Finally, it could be a gremlin in your system, i.e. wiring or problem with the PCM.

There is no stepping up of voltage in our systems.

I'll give my programa try tonight.

DA BIG ONE
04-04-2006, 01:50
I had a problem it turned out to be the harness after it enters the pass/side firewall and under the HVAC box & the up to ECM where it can be damaged by any passenger simply stretching their legs & pushing on harness, in my case pins were pulled out of plugs by harness at ECM.

DaveNY
04-04-2006, 13:40
You may have a problem with the autoenginuity program.

f1rst, make sure you have the latest version.

Then, tell Jay about it.

Finally, it could be a gremlin in your system, i.e. wiring or problem with the PCM.

There is no stepping up of voltage in our systems.

I'll give my programa try tonight.
Come to think of it this glitch appeared after 4.1 dload? Gonna hook it up now and call Jay.
Dave

DaveNY
04-05-2006, 17:32
Come to think of it this glitch appeared after 4.1 dload? Gonna hook it up now and call Jay.
Dave
Got E-Mail fr AE today, program has issue with ignition voltage sensor!
Also got abbreviated explaination as to 15 psi boost being correct at idle due to what the sensor sees?????????

JohnC
04-06-2006, 08:35
Also got abbreviated explaination as to 15 psi boost being correct at idle due to what the sensor sees?????????

the sensor measures absolute pressure. Atmospheric pressure (zero boost) is about 15 psi, hence that's what you see. Go to the top of Pikes Peak and see what it reads there...

DaveNY
04-06-2006, 13:58
No pikes peak for me Im a sealevel guy. but i guess the sensor just adds the boost to the atmosphiric pressure it sees so my normal boost at hwy speed is around 5 lbs the AE should show 20? going down the road.
Dave

JohnC
04-06-2006, 14:16
i guess the sensor just adds the boost to the atmosphiric pressure it sees

More simple. it measures the pressure in the intake manifold based on zero being a perfect vacuum. If the engine is shut down, the manifold has 15 psi higher than a perfect vacuum. Sorta like the emergency $20 bill you may keep hidden away. If I ask how much money you have, you tell me what's in your wallet, but don't count the 20. If your accountant asks, you (should) include the 20.

so my normal boost at hwy speed is around 5 lbs the AE should show 20? going down the road.

Yes

DaveNY
04-07-2006, 17:43
Thanks,
I dug out an old T-2 printout and it also showed the same, I should really get some paperwork on this stuff!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks again Dave