PDA

View Full Version : Air intake conversion

2ortman
04-04-2006, 09:04
Greetings, I am a new member to this community. I am the original owner of a 1994 3/4 ton Pickup. It has a standard transmission with a 6.5L turbocharged engine. It has very low miles, and is used mostly for hauling a camper around in the summer. Right now I am upgrading the engine air flow. On the intake side, I have been told that the stock airbox can be swapped to a 1997 1 ton high capacity, which will fit a Trueflow filter. I am also upgrading the exhaust to a Banks system which includes a superscoop for the intake, and a so if it works I should get a larger volume of cool air to the intake. The other option was to use an AFE filter assembly, but it seems to me that since this assembly is basically an open filter in the engine copmpartment it would result in sucking hot engine air rather than cool outside air. Does anyone have experence with this? My main question is wether the 97 air box will fit into the 94 truck. Any other ideas? Thank You for your help,
Jim Ortman, Bozeman

Bnave95
04-04-2006, 10:45
[ ........Right now I am upgrading the engine air flow. On the intake side, I have been told that the stock airbox can be swapped to a 1997 1 ton high capacity, which will fit a Trueflow filter.........

This works better than stock box yours and mine has, though the aFe that fits our boxs work very good in air flow and filtering.

....... I am also upgrading the exhaust to a Banks system which includes a superscoop for the intake.......

Done this many years ago. Did you get the Stinger Kit? boost, egt gauges.
And there prom chip? The kit also came a K&N filter I have ran for the same time. Now I run the aFe filter.

,..... The other option was to use an AFE filter assembly, but it seems to me that since this assembly is basically an open filter in the engine copmpartment it would result in sucking hot engine air rather than cool outside air........

Lost me on that one not knowing what filter your looking into.

BNave95C3500

KenDavis
04-04-2006, 16:37
I recently replaced my stock air intake with the AFE Stage 2 intake system. Fit was good and easy to install. I also installed Jardine's Pinnacle Power Exhaust system, 4", from the turbo back. Power was definitely better and mileage went from 15.6 to 17.5 with just those two upgrades. I'm happy with the results.

Craig M
04-04-2006, 17:09
AFE appears nice, but pricey!

Bnave95
04-05-2006, 03:33
AFE appears nice, but pricey!
My cost was $87 shipped. A replacement Eng. because to much dirt got in the oil, Cost?

roclongrider
04-05-2006, 10:52
$87 shipped for the AFE is decent. Who di you get it from??

Bnave95
04-05-2006, 16:33
www.heathdiesel.com

HH
04-05-2006, 17:32
I upgrade to the 97 & later box in my 1993. Everything fit fine. I bought all the pieces in a kit from Pennisular Engine.

Bnave95
04-06-2006, 02:18
I upgrade to the 97 & later box in my 1993. Everything fit fine. I bought all the pieces in a kit from Pennisular Engine.
What was the cost?

Craig M
04-06-2006, 15:44
Prices I have seen for the AFE around $250 or so.

HH
04-06-2006, 17:43
IIRC something like $300 complete.

Bnave95
04-07-2006, 02:29
Even with the flat panel style,running boost up to 12#. With this filter I don't see where the truck is starving for air.The turbo really spools up and I can hear it very will inside the cab. Normal boost runs around 10# and this is where you can really hear it. Above 10# it starts going away,at least I don't notice it as much. So it seems like 10# is tops or better any way. No intercooler. At 12# I use the water any way.Now it's a heavy drag truck:)

Bnave95
04-07-2006, 18:50
Went to www.usdieselparts.com and seen the AfE filter for stock flat style air box for $54.33 includes shipping.
To think I paid $87 from Heathdiesel.

DA BIG ONE
04-08-2006, 03:13
I also installed Jardine's Pinnacle Power Exhaust system, 4", from the turbo back. .

Where did you get the 4" turbo back exhaust?

Bnave95
04-08-2006, 05:12
I recently replaced my stock air intake with the AFE Stage 2 intake system. Fit was good and easy to install. I also installed Jardine's Pinnacle Power Exhaust system, 4", from the turbo back. Power was definitely better and mileage went from 15.6 to 17.5 with just those two upgrades. I'm happy with the results.
Where did you get your aFe stage 2 from.

KenDavis
04-12-2006, 13:42
Sorry, I haven't checked this link recently. I got my aFe intake system from Gillett Diesel in Draper/Salt Lake City, Utah. They are the authorized dealer here.

My exhaust is from Jardine Pinnacle Power Exhaust in Wyoming. Came with a 3" downpipe then 4" the rest of the way. I know I shortened that in my descriptions and apparently it led to misunderstandings. From reading past posts it was obvious that 3" was as big as you could go, so I didn't see the need to express that. I just wanted to say that I replaced the system from the turbo back and not from the cat back. Sorry.