PDA

View Full Version : Automatic transmission

William Fullington
12-03-2005, 07:05
the 4l80 transmission learns how you shift right? I know it will gradually relearn after like 50-100 starts, but how do you rest the computer to start learning again from 0.

also, when i check my transmission oil level cold it is well above the hot marker and of course the cold marer. but when i run it for a while, then check it while idling, it is between the hot and cold. I've been told this ok but wanted some 2nd opinions.

Clark's diesel
12-03-2005, 08:24
I thought you were only supposed to check it when it is hot. I've always checked mine after I get home from work, or after a short trip. I would add some fluid if it is low when your truck is at operating temperature. I am thinking about one of those Mag Hytec transmission pans myself, just for more capacity. I am curious about what kind of transmission temps guys are seeing with the stock 4l80e transmission while driving in town stoplight to stoplight w/no load. I'll have to start another thread about that later since I'm almost out the door heading to my favorite tree stand.

William Fullington
12-03-2005, 10:05
yes, ur supposed to check it hot and idling. i checked it cold to see where it was cold though.

i can let u know the temps when my guage is hooked up, i was sent the wrong fixture from autometer so i'll have it in when the right part arrives.