PDA

View Full Version : front bumpers holes or no holes? 88-99

redbird2
04-04-2006, 21:40
Is ther any differance in cooling if you would run a factory front bumper with out the 2 holes in them off a gasser on your diesel on the 88-99 model bodied trucks?
I pull a large livestock trailer my truck was a gasser we converted over to diesel however the donor did have front bumper.
I was pulling the front bumper to start the repaint project and started think about this it would be the time to switch it out if it would help.

This is going to be long project color change truck all petwer all my other trucks have been or are red, red/silver, or red/petwer. Wife tells me I'm nuts for repainting perfectly fine truck I reminded her then way did I have to repaint the kitchen 2 weeks ago. HA HA . I pulled the bed off putting diamond tread alum flat bed back on instead of regular truck box. It will be then the truck I wanted all along I picked it up in Texas 2 years ago for a song crew cab 4x4 single rear wheels low miles 1998 I like that body style.
thanks inadvance I enjoy helping other and getting everyone elses ideas

a5150nut
04-04-2006, 23:07
Yes the holes are for additional air for cooling. I have seen some after market bumpers that have even larger openings for air and I know a guy with a Furd that built an aluminum scoop below the bumper for additional air. It has been recomended here NOT to place driving lights in these openings because it reduces the air neede for cooling.

Be sure to seperate your oil cooler, ac condencer, and radiator for a thourgh cleaning. I run nylon screen in front of all this to keep out bugs. But you would be suprised how much dirt, weeds, and bugs accumulate in the fins and between condensor, cooler, and radiator.

Bnave95
04-05-2006, 03:10
If you get a chance to look at a 6.5 front bumper you will also notice through the holes that there are flaps that also help direct air flow.

Bornready6.5
04-05-2006, 14:24
My truck was in a front end collision before I bought it and the body shop replaced the bumper with a non-hole unit.

I havent noticed any difference in cooling, and its never been a issue.....but I sure wish I had the bumper with holes in it...just because I like the looks of it.

I will swap someday.

Hubert
04-05-2006, 15:10
You'll get more waves from fellow 6.5 addicts with the holes.

Scooby
04-06-2006, 02:35
My kids laugh at me for waving at the other trucks with the "GILLS" in the front bumper.

nvmtnlion
04-07-2006, 07:45
My girlfriend calls them "Nostrils"

Turbine Doc
04-12-2006, 19:13
Maintenance steps is why I like them

offrdk5
04-16-2006, 19:07
Why, I just bought a 1994 with the holes in the bumper and didn't have to get the milk crate out to heave my sorry butt over the engine to change out the fuel filter!! I now will look for rigs with those and wave at them!!

jeffscarstrucks
04-16-2006, 20:12
My wife has an older corvette that we used to drive...and wave to others in. Now she has a Jeep that we drive as an everyday car...and wave to other Jeepers. I dont know who is in the secret wave club when I'm in my truck but now I have to watch bumpers while I am trying ro remember what I AM driving. It is good not to drive the same thing as the masses and have some personality! Now I'll be watching! JEFF