PDA

View Full Version : New to me 04 DM - Questions

DickWells
04-05-2006, 03:37
:cool: Just traded our 96 Dodge Cummins for an 04 GMC 2500 CC - Long Bed last week. Did it down here in Del Rio, 2000 miles from home. Couldn't help myself. The truck is white, and I'll always be a GM man at heart. The old Sub. 6.5 is still waiting for me at home. I'll cry like a baby when someone buys that this summer.
This new truck has a SuperTek chip in it. Anyone with experience with this one in a DM?
I have a complete run-off of all that's been done to it since new. No injector change, so far. What are the symptoms of injector failure on these? Oh, miine is an LB7. Just 45000 on the clock!
Except for a small scratch on each outside corner of the plastic cladding under the front bumper, you can't tell this thing from showroom new on the outside. On the inside, it has the usual sign of incipient cracking of the leather on the outer bolster of the driver's seat. Anyone know of a good preventive fix for that, before it get worse?
I talked to the previous owner, and he said the truck is great. He traded for an 06 short bed for hauling his boat. He seems to have more money than he knows what to do with.
Got 19.26 mpg going to San Antonio and back on Saturday. Love the thing so far. But I sure miss the manual tranny. I'm not impressed with the Allison equipped trucks that I've driven. All that torque at 1600 rpm, and the gear box won't use them! Growls away at 2000 before it shifts without getting anywhere. You just know that with a manual, you would get exceleration without getting so far into the fuel. However, get on it, and it just plain go's! So does the instant mileage readout. From 20 mpg to 2 mpg in an instant. I sure miss that clutch and lever!
I'd appreciate your input, anyone.
Dick Wells:cool:

More Power
04-05-2006, 11:05
Congrats on the "new" Duramax! :D

I haven't heard anything about the SuperTek chip....

Leather seat cracking or otherwise excessive seat wear can be reduced by installing a set of running boards. Without them, drivers & passengers swivel, then slide out, which drags their weight across the outside edge of the seat. This breaks down the outside edge of the seat and wears the fabric/leather more than it would with running boards. This is the primary reason I installed them on my '01 CC. :)

Jim

SoTxPollock
04-11-2006, 10:32
Stop by an auto parts store and buy some McGuiers Rich Leather Wipes and use em. It conditions the leather and keeps it from drying out. Apologies if I misspelled your name Barry.