PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a good tranny

bbudus
04-06-2006, 10:17
After 210,000 miles and much abuse my poor 4l80e finally bit the bullet. I am looking for a good rebuilt/remanufactured tranny. I would like the shift kit, and red clutches but it has to be somewhat affordable. Anybody have any ideas? I will ship it in from wherever, I just want a solid transmission that will handle all the new found power.

Thanks,

Bbudus

More Power
04-06-2006, 12:07
If you want to ship... Contact Jerry at JB Transmissions 406-777-3662 here in Montana. I know him quite well. He does very good work - priced competitively. :)

Jim

16gaSxS
04-06-2006, 12:14
If you want to ship... Contact Jerry at JB Transmissions 406-777-3662 here in Montana. I know him quite well. He does very good work - priced competitively. :)

Jim

Jim;
Do you know if Jerry will use higher quailty or heavy duty parts in his rebuilds? Winters transmissions here do good work and have good reputation but only use stock parts, they won't do heavy duty rebuilds.

More Power
04-06-2006, 15:42
Jerry will build a tranny any way someone might want. OEM type parts or performance parts. He rebuilt the 4L80-E in the 6.5TD Project Truck using perf parts. :) It's best to talk to him and indicate what you want upfront. He's also equipped to make recommendations based on application.

As many times as I've had a truck of mine in his shop, he knows diesels a whole lot better.... :D

I would make the request that he (or any trans builder) use the genuine GM trans pan gasket. It's actually a reuseable metal/rubber gasket that seals a lot better longterm than a NAPA type composition gasket...

Jim

DA BIG ONE
04-07-2006, 04:24
I have gone full tilt on my 4L80e (1999 see my signature) it can and will holdup to anything the modified 6.5td can throw at it. When going for any high performance upgrades on yours (older 4L80e) you need to do all the aftermarket upgrades for reliability that have come on the market throughout the years or that $$$$ you spend "could" be for naught.

The following web link will give you some ideas of what I'm talking about herein. http://www.transhardparts.com/