PDA

View Full Version : Filters

Bnave95
04-08-2006, 05:48
A note about turbo wine. Have ran K&N for years knowing they were not the best,though others disagree and have run them for year as I.
The aFe filter has the turbo spooling up faster than the K&N and the wine at 10# is more noticeable.

More Power
04-08-2006, 12:49
AFE produces two or more different oiled-gauze air filter varieties. One of them is a 4-layer version for better airflow and the other I'm familiar with is their 7-layer version - made for more dusty conditions.

An engine oil analysis is one good way to determine whether an air filter is doing its job. K&N works fine for some people and driving conditions, producing single-digit silicon numbers (which is what we ought to be shooting for). Others see much higher silicon numbers with K&N (or other oiled-gauze elements), which should give the owner a clue that he needs an upgrade..... :rolleyes:

It all depends on the conditions under which the truck is driven. One of these days we'll test the new AEM dry (and reuseable) synthetic element, which has some good ad hype....

Jim

Bnave95
04-08-2006, 15:46
So the aFe Stage Two would be the 4-layer.
aFe Proguard 7 Stage Two would be the 7-layer.
Explains the cost difference.
K&N and aFe are both cotton types,aFe pleats are quite deeper,larger and the sealing flange is far superior.
If I lived in the back hills,off dirt lane, Farming, construction zones, ect. I'd opt. for the Proguard 7.
It would be great to revisit the Filter Shoot out!;)