PDA

View Full Version : Air Filters use and why?

Bnave95
04-09-2006, 04:53
I wanted to start a topic on what filters are being used. Why you went with the filters of choice. Paper, Amsoil-two types,foam or EA, eFe, Unifoam, K&N, Ect.

Doug Thom
04-09-2006, 05:39
I have been using the Amsoil Air Filters for about 3 years now and am more then satisfied. I will be ordering the new Ea filter next time around as they are an improvement over the old ones.
regards
Doug

Bnave95
04-09-2006, 06:03
http://home.usadatanet.net/~jbplock/ISO5011/SPICER.htm

Dvldog8793
04-09-2006, 06:34
Howdy
I use a UNI foam in my 1999 and KN in all my other vehicles. The KNs are used in conjunction with a foam or membrane type prefilter. I have seen oil testing that prooved that a bare KN (or possibly other cloth type filters) do not do a good job in a dusty environment. So my wifes van, the lawn mower, my welder, caprice,(the GTO and Vette get good old paper) etc... can use the KN w/ prefilter. But my turbo diesel gets the UNI foam. My reason for using the reusable filters is that I am a maintenance freak. Over a short period the extra cost is more than made up, at least for me.
L8r
Conley

Artworks
04-09-2006, 08:57
http://home.usadatanet.net/~jbplock/ISO5011/SPICER.htm
Thanks for the link, that's just sort of info i am looking for. i going to be investing in exhaust upgrades on my truck and was then going to do upgrade on air side as well, now lookslike i go for newer style air box and oem filter to increase flow without sacrificing filtering capacity. Thanks

atom_c
04-09-2006, 09:28
Again, thanks for the link. I am using a AFE Proguard 7 filter. I made a custom 4" transitioning to 3" mandrel bent intake pipe. No airbox around it yet. I have seen a big improvement over the stock filter. This makes me believe that 6.5's definitely benefit from more air, at least up to a point that is not met by a stock filter in old style airbox! The turbo now spools up much quicker and I have better overall power. This is still with stock exhaust. I will soon be installing an exhaust upgrade and then looking at JK's chip.

Adam

Dvldog8793
04-09-2006, 11:45
Good link! I passed it along to some friends in the business of selling filters...we'll see what they say! I might someday move on to a better filter by the looks of this test my UNI is kinda on the bottom. Not as much as a bare KN but close. I still think that if you replace filters often a reusable filter in a decent price range with some sort of prefilter is a good bet.
L8r
Conley

LanduytG
04-09-2006, 11:50
If you talk with Spicer I think you will see the data is no longer valid. The Amsoil EA smokes them all.

Greg

Bnave95
04-09-2006, 11:52
If you talk with Spicer I think you will see the data is no longer valid. The Amsoil EA smokes them all.

Greg
I was looking for the EA Greg on your web but only seen the foam style.

LanduytG
04-09-2006, 14:49
You need to go to www.amsoil.com for info on the EA. My site needs a lot of updatung.

Greg

ronniejoe
04-09-2006, 15:17

Greg

I've argued for a long time that there are problems with that test data. Can you elaborate on your comment?

LanduytG
04-09-2006, 15:27
Ronny
I never thought that test was any good at all, but thats another topic. I can't say anything about what Spicer knows. It was all to do with the K&N thing that he went to a couple of months back.

Greg

Kent
04-09-2006, 16:04
Was .using the k&n flat panel air filter, that is until i plumbed in a filter restriction guage, and found it was pulling 11 inches of restriction with everything real clean. Then i went with a big k&n 6x9 cone filter right on the end of the turbo inlet. All is well and am confident of les restriction. In case anyone is interested the splayed main, 17:5 to 1 engine is going strong at 48k.

Kent

Bnave95
04-09-2006, 23:57
Thanks for the link, that's just sort of info i am looking for. i going to be investing in exhaust upgrades on my truck and was then going to do upgrade on air side as well, now lookslike i go for newer style air box and oem filter to increase flow without sacrificing filtering capacity. Thanks
Thats what I would do also,other than I would get ahold of Grag and use the Amsoil EA air filter. This filter use's no oil and can be cleaned with air. Buy once, clean and reinstall. ;)
Part# EAA112 $59.10

Bnave95
04-10-2006, 00:06
You need to go to www.amsoil.com for info on the EA. My site needs a lot of updatung.

Greg
I see Amsoil has no part# for the flat panel style filter:(

LanduytG
04-10-2006, 02:19
For those with the flat panal filter you need the EAa83 at $36.15
For those with the newer round filter its the EAa111 at $45

Greg

Bnave95
04-10-2006, 09:56
For those with the flat panal filter you need the EAa83 at $36.15
For those with the newer round filter its the EAa111 at $45

Greg
Ea112= overkill or not a stock item?
Burns me,wish I would did more checking out the Amsoil site before I order the aFe:(

LanduytG
04-10-2006, 12:16
The EAa 112 was the same as the EAa111. So now all they have is the EAa111.

Greg

ANXIOUS-SUBMAN
06-09-2006, 18:35
I just recieved the Eaa112 from Amsoil. The Amsoil application guide list it as the Heavy Duty version of the Eaa111 and is listed for my vehicle. Problem is...this thing is too big around to fit in my air box, not even close, can't even get the lid on. I would send it back for the 111 but I like that the pleats are almost 1 1/2" deep so I'm thinking about building a new air box to accommodate it.

chickenhunterbob
06-09-2006, 23:18
for my money, go OEM.

No fitment issues, superior filtering, sufficient airflow, what more do you want, exactly, different colour?

Bnave95
06-11-2006, 04:54
for my money, go OEM.

No fitment issues, superior filtering, sufficient airflow, what more do you want, exactly, different colour?
This would probley be the best for a stock 6.5;)

ANXIOUS-SUBMAN
06-11-2006, 18:55
for my money, go OEM.

The OEM filter would be OK, if OK is all you want. For me, OK is NOT enough (but that's just me). Most agree that these engines are more responsive and run better with less restriction in the air flow, both intake and exhaust. I've already opened up the exhaust and I've had both a K&N and the oiled foam Amsoil (which I'm tired of dealing with the oil and it barely fit the stock air box itself). I've already completed my custom air box (first attempt) to accomodate the Heavy Duty Eaa112. This filter with it's increased size and pleats about 1 1/4" deep probably has more surface area than anything I've ever used. That along with the nanofiber technology makes me believe that I might have the best filtering/air flow combination of anything I've used so far.

It sounds extreme but if there was enough room under the hood I might cut out the end of my first Eaa112 and stack another one on the end of this one. Same high quality filtering but twice the air flow. (just thinkin')

DA BIG ONE
06-12-2006, 02:53
Through the years I have gone to airfilters that are twice the size/flow required on my turbo gas motors.

If the filter is the type you clean on occasion, then that occasion becomes seldom.

Yes, always use a prefilter too it keeps the BIG stuff off the filter surface and out of those pleats.

LanduytG
06-12-2006, 03:39
Yes, always use a prefilter too it keeps the BIG stuff off the filter surface and out of those pleats.

Never use a prefilter on the Amsoil EaA filters. It will defeat the purpose of the EaA and make the Nano Fiber not do its job.

Grreg

DA BIG ONE
06-12-2006, 04:07

Never use a prefilter on the Amsoil EaA filters. It will defeat the purpose of the EaA and make the Nano Fiber not do its job.

Grreg

Good morning Greg, interesting that a pre-filter shouldn't be used w/this product.

How does it hold up in sandy/dusty situations?
How often does it need cleaning?

I've taken to pre-filters at about a 10% loss of flow because of sand and other crap clogging filters pleats.

jeffscarstrucks
06-12-2006, 08:49
That filter study is some interesting reading! I would like to read a little more on the "EA" filter you are talking about while I'm on the way to the trash can with my K&N!
I would really like to see a similar study in print on oil filter quality. I have cut open a lot of new filters and still use AC or Wix but that is hardley an objective way to do it. Thanks for the info, JEFF