PDA

View Full Version : Dashboard lights?

chrisinkanata
04-09-2006, 10:28
A couple of the backlights in the HVAC control module in my truck are out. I took the module out expecting to see the tiny replaceable bulbs like in other trucks I've had but it seems to be a sealed unit. Took the screws out of the back but something continues to hold it together, may the fan switch.

Anyone seen this or had success in replacing these bulbs in the past?

Thanks,

Chris

DmaxMaverick
04-10-2006, 07:49
Chris

I have a spare I can disassemble. Hold off on yours, and I'll get back to you. If the head isn't repairable, better to destroy a unit that's not being used.

Or.......
The head I have is for a 2001 (US model) with no rear defog, no rear air, non-auto, and is like new. If you need it, I can let it go cheap. Probably cheaper than the time/expense of trying to replace a lamp. Drop me an email or PM if you are interested. The heads are about $70-$90 US (depending on features) at gmpartsdirect.com (http://www.gmpartsdirect.com), plus S/H.

chrisinkanata
04-11-2006, 17:48
OK, I got the control head apart today. The rotary knobs are what holds it together. Inside is a small printed circut assembly to which are soldered the tiny little bulbs. They are normal little incandecent bulbs, but tiny and soldered right to the board.

They do not seem to be available and I'll be damned if I pay whatever the amount is to replace the whole module for the sake of a $.10 bulb. I am sufficiently skilled to replace them myself, if I can just get them.

Any thoughts on getting them....? I may try a local electrical supply store.

Chris

david
04-11-2006, 23:08
Why not use an L E D ?????
David

Modified
04-15-2006, 19:11
There have been previous posts about burnt out light bulbs on the HVAC Control Module, dash lights, and radio lights. I never looked at my dash and radios lights, but I found replacement lamps for my HVAC Controller on my 2002. It sure beats the $125 the Dealer wanted to charge to sell me a new Control Module, and that didn

chrisinkanata
04-16-2006, 05:16
Modified,

Thanks very much. That was exactly what I needed.

Chris