PDA

View Full Version : Glow plug relay location

rgrowan
04-09-2006, 21:55
put in Kennedy QH not too long ago, now seem to be having problems again. Want to change relay. Where is it? Also. some of my glowplug wires could stand to be replaced. Where can I get those?

bobt
04-09-2006, 22:36
On a '93, it's at the back of the driver's side head next to the firewall.
Bob

Bnave95
04-09-2006, 23:17
Contact JK on the glow plugs. Your relay is probley fine. He has had some trouble with the QH. You may have some not working. Try testing the glow plug's using a circuit test light,hook the clamp lead to the battery pos. and unplug the glow plug lead. Touching each glow spade at a time and the test light should light. If the light does not lite than that plug is dead.

rgrowan
04-10-2006, 16:16
I tested the 4 plugs on drivers side and nothing! Light didn't come on for any of them. Light works too, cause I tested it just in case. I've never seen anything but rave reviews for the quick heats. Whats the deal? Was it a bad batch? I don't want to do this again and again so is it safe to get more? Glow cycle is only a few seconds whereas when I first put the QH's in, it was a nice long cycle...

Bnave95
04-10-2006, 16:47
I tested the 4 plugs on drivers side and nothing! Light didn't come on for any of them. Light works too, cause I tested it just in case. I've never seen anything but rave reviews for the quick heats. Whats the deal? Was it a bad batch? I don't want to do this again and again so is it safe to get more? Glow cycle is only a few seconds whereas when I first put the QH's in, it was a nice long cycle...
Yes on JK getting a bad batch,He's checking into. He will send you a new set,give him a call. This is the first I'v heard of the QH going out on a PCM control,Elect. injection pump. The 6.2 were having more problems with them. They were thinking the DB2 timing had some thing to do with it but I say JK got some bad one's.

DennisG01
04-11-2006, 05:29
When you get a chance, check your relay with a voltmeter while someone else turns on the ignition (just to light up the WTS light, not to start the engine). One of the posts on the relay goes to the driver's side, the other goes to the passenger's side. If you are getting power at the posts, but not at the plugs, must be bad wires. I found a set for less than half that from the dealer at gmpartsdirect.com. The part number for my 1998 is 15303052. You'd have to contact them to see if it's different for yours.

BobND
04-11-2006, 06:00
One of the posts on the relay goes to the driver's side, the other goes to the passenger's side. The part number for my 1998 is 15303052. You'd have to contact them to see if it's different for yours.

Actually, one of the posts is always "HOT" with battery power, and the other post, which is connected to BOTH banks of glow plugs, is switched "ON" and "OFF" by the controller/relay or relay.

The units through 1993 are controller/relays in one unit.

From 1994 - up, the PCM does controller duty, and the unit on the engine is simply a relay (but appears the same). It has one or two less little wires to it, though.

DennisG01
04-12-2006, 05:28
Sorry, I got ahead of myself there! BobND is correct. The one post has both sets of wires coming off it for both sides of the engine. Once you take a look at it, it's pretty simple to figure out. Here's a link to a pic:

http://www.ssdieselsupply.com/images/products/fullsize/59--20041216091850.jpg

Hubert
09-07-2006, 10:22
Does anyone make a heavier duty glowplug wiring harness.

Or is it better to go back with OE GM parts. I haven't looked personally yet but doesn't glow plug harness have fuseable links?

I am going to do injectors, glowplugs, and gauges soon. Might as well put on new wires while I am there. I figure the connectors on passenger side will probably be brittle and worn out due to heat.

How do you guys find part numbers. This gm part number 15303052 for a 98 listed above should fit my 97 shouldn't it.

Rockauto did not crossmatch this part number. So I guess its GMpartsdirect ~ $43 or dealer $??. Anyone find it at Napa or other?

JohnC
09-07-2006, 14:46
Yes, each side has a fusable link.