PDA

View Full Version : Timing chain replacment

1bad383
04-10-2006, 14:39
It is finally time to replace my stock chain @ 233K. Fuel use is up and power is WAY down. Is the set up any different than any other GM gasser? Any special tools I may need? I dont want to crack this thing open and be short parts / tools! Thanks in advance!

16gaSxS
04-10-2006, 16:13
A puller for the hamonic balancer and gears is about all plus decent hand tools.

Please fill out your signture so we know what you got!!!!!!!!!!!!!! See mine below

on the tool bar on top the "User CP" is where you get in to to that.

a5150nut
04-10-2006, 17:19
The gear drive replacement is nice. And if you are pre 97, the duel thermostat and water pump would be an excelent upgrade while you have it all apart. Oh and a new front main seal.

16gaSxS
04-11-2006, 08:48
The gear drive replacement is nice. And if you are pre 97, the duel thermostat and water pump would be an excelent upgrade while you have it all apart. Oh and a new front main seal.

To put a $350 gear set in an engine with 233,000 miles verse a $150 chain and gears......??????? Maybe if your going to keep the truck and rebuild the engine when the times comes.

1bad383
04-11-2006, 12:59
I used to have my signature and picture before the new board, must have been lost in transit!! I'm not a newbie either, oh well. One more question, I have a Army T.O. that kinda breaks down the front section of the motor. I don't need to remove the pump do I? Should be the front accessorys only, right?

1bad383
04-11-2006, 13:04
Forgot to ask, what else do I need to replace under there while I am at it? Pump gears? Naturally seals and stuff. Never cracked a diesel open, lots of gassers though! Can I run a '97 & up water pump on a single stat system, or is it a must to upgrade to a dual stat.

BobND
04-11-2006, 14:21
I don't need to remove the pump do I? Should be the front accessorys only, right?

The IP HAS to be unbolted from the aluminum timing cover, but can be left in place, with the lines attached.

I started this thread

http://72.22.76.69/tdpforum/showthread.php?t=5715&highlight=timing+gears

when I was replacing the timing set on my 6.2. Outside of the addition of the reluctor wheel for the crankshaft position sensor on the crankshaft, the timing sets are the same. Take a look at some of the things I found out about the new timing sets I bought, and check your new set accordingly.

Bnave95
04-12-2006, 05:17
Forgot to ask, what else do I need to replace under there while I am at it? Pump gears? Naturally seals and stuff. Never cracked a diesel open, lots of gassers though! Can I run a '97 & up water pump on a single stat system, or is it a must to upgrade to a dual stat.
Give Jim a call and order "The 6.2L/6.5L Diesel Removal & Replacement Guide" Very helpfull.
Chapter 12 deals with "Timing Set and Front Cover" You'll be glad you did.:)

tommac95
04-13-2006, 21:45
there are some interesting options concerning torqueing the harmonic balancer [which should be checked] ... i think Damork posted some fotos of his cure....

gmctd
04-14-2006, 12:21
Glad to see you made it over, badboy - shame you lost your status.

Might also give some thought to replacing the nylon rocker-arm keepers - ones on the non-turbo side should be way past done, by now.

Hate to even think about what shape the keepers on the turbo-side are in.