PDA

View Full Version : Cummins Conversion Update

moedog
04-10-2006, 17:19
Left with the 5th wheel on spring break for Canyon Lands in Utah. Drove all the same hills Im used to driving and watching the temp. gauge rise quickly and praying the fan-clutch comes on in time to avoid melt down. ha ha.
This time the fan clutch was never needed and the temp. gauge moved one click on the biggest hills. Thought I was dreaming and didnt want to wake up.
Truly a pleasure to pull again. It will take some time for the old temp. fear to go away after years of fighting it. Been driving 6.5s since 1994.
I didnt check the mpg, but seemed about the same when pulling hard as the 6.5, just had more power and cool temps.
The 6.5 smoked less ( wife doesnt like smell of diesel ) but once your moving its all the same.
Hope all of you are enjoying the spring time and day light savings time!!!!

Dan

16gaSxS
04-11-2006, 08:51
Dan;
Gled your happy with your new set up. Sounds like you had good trip.

surfbeetle
04-30-2006, 00:35
Last summer in 112 degree heat, I took my Dodge Cummins with my 5th wheel up the Grapevine on I-5 in Ca (6% grade). I had to slow down from 75 to 65 because it started to get hotter than I liked. It really takes alot more to heat up a Cummins then a 6.5. Dan I am glad that your conversion turned out great.