PDA

View Full Version : replacing starter

garre1tt
12-03-2005, 14:37
Looks like the starter in the Suburban needs to be replaced. Tested the batteries, good. checked and cleaned all the cables. Will crank slow.

Are there only the two bolts that conect the starter?
Any other things to be aware of?
thanks
Michael D.

rjschoolcraft
12-03-2005, 14:52
There should be a bracket at the forward end (vehicle orientation) of the starter motor that fastens to the block. Don't forget to reinstall that bracket. The two main starter mount bolts often break if this secondary support bracket is missing.

The starter is heavy. Be careful.

NH2112
12-03-2005, 14:53
You also have to take the front support off, in my experience it's easier to unbolt it from the block than the starter itself. I use a 1/4" drive ratchet, maybe an 8" extension, and 13mm socket.

jonflies
12-20-2005, 18:42
Just R&R'd mine yesterday. You can reach the front bracket bolt from the passenger side wheel well, using an extension and U-joint adapter. It's a 13mm head, while there's an 11mm nut on the stud, holding the bracket to the starter. Be prepared to lighten your wallet by quite a bit if you want a Delco replacement. I prefer to use new verses rebuilt on my business truck.

bbudus
12-20-2005, 21:28
I was having same problems as you. Thought the batteries were good, but decided to take them in to be tested anyway, along with my starter. Turns out starter was good, batteries were fooling me. Had plenty of volts, no amps though. New batteries, new cables and I back in business.

Bbudus

Hubert
12-21-2005, 14:17
I had difficulty getting to the front bracket bolt. Went from underneath and a mix of extensions and swivels.

I was doing clutch so just unbolting and reinstalling mine. One thing to maybe have is some bailing wire or similar ready with you underneath the truck to tie the starter up. So you don't have to hold it while undoing cables etc. There is not a whole lot of extra slack in the wires to drop it far.

Also while I was there I added some of the high temp tape (foiled duct tape like stuff) to wires that looked vulnerable to the heat. There is some factory shielding but some of the plastic wire loom was also melted on mine so I tried to beef up protection. It gets dang hot down under the turbo and manifold in that area!

JohnC
12-22-2005, 07:33
Someone PLEASE! buy this low mileage starter from me! ;)

http://members.aol.com/gmc65td/starter.jpg

rjwest
12-22-2005, 12:19
If you cut the starter solnoid wire from the ign key and make it longer, it can be attached with starter while it's on on ground, also by unhooking the Pos wire at the battery it can be pulled down to allow easier connection,,,( may need to loosen some ties/clamps..

I also ran a " jump" start wire up to the battery,
to bypass ign sw if needed...

I do not reccomend running any starter to " end of life, sometimes the end breaks off and goes into the flywhell/bellhousing, rare, but expensive,

And, if you are going to keep the vehicle you will
need at least 1 starter, cheaper to due it before it fails...don't forget the front strap, it needs to be tight, good practise to recheck the bolts after a few starts..

garre1tt
01-08-2006, 22:28
Just wanted to thank all that posted replies.
The info on the support bracket, type of socket and size kept me from freezing to death while changing it. Still had to have been the coldest repair I have ever done.

I was lucky that the wires were already long enough to allow the starter to sit on the ground.

Unlucky in that I just pushed them back up and did a real quick check to make sure they were not rubbing on anything.

Made it 1200 miles into our move from Montana to California before the POS cable rubbed nearly in half. At least we did not find out until we had stopped for the night in the campground.

Thank to the Chevy dealer in Ashland, OR (Town and Country) they got us on the road again the next day.

Thanks again
Michael D

Dvldog 8793
01-09-2006, 05:39
Howdy
Make sure to retorque the bolts after a few days. I also always put new bolts in. WAY chaeper than a new starter or removing the broken bolt from the block!
L8r
Conley