PDA

View Full Version : Using the engine block heater during cold temperatures...

More Power
04-11-2006, 09:22
Here's an email I responded to earlier today regarding using the engine block heater. While it's a little late for this past winter season, this might help someone later this year.

Here's the original email.

Love your web site. Find it very informative. I thought you guys might have some thoughts on a question I have. I have a 2006 Silverado Dmax. At 3K miles the engine light came on and the truck wouldn't get out of 3rd gear. I took it to the dealer and this is their explanation:

I leave the truck plugged in during the winter. In Colorado the temperature can vary widely - it has been warm lately. They indicated that the higher water temperature with a high outside temperature was indicating to the computer there was a problem and put the truck into a "safe" mode. Apparently there was a long list of trouble codes in the computer and the truck kept reducing power until it shut down almost completely. They indicated that the plug should never be used at temperatures above 0 degrees F. They told me I should have been told this when I bought it and I should tie up the plug and never use it (it seldom gets below 0 Deg. in Colorado).

My question is:

Do you guys agree?

My thought was that the heater would make cold starts easier on the engine-not to mention warmer in the cab faster.

Does this mean every time I plug in the truck (say between 0 Deg. and Freezing-common in CO) that it will be sending trouble codes to the computer and thus losing/reducing power?

Why have I never heard of this before?

Any thoughts or information you have would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dustin

Here's my reply:

Hi Dustin,

Yes, I've heard of similar problems when using the block heater. Here's what I think.....

Due to hot and cold areas of the engine when using the block heater, electronic diesels can get confused about the actual temperature, and incorrectly set timing, idle rpm and fueling. I saw this with the electronic 6.5L diesels as well. Doesn't happen all the time, but it sorta depends on how long the block heater had been on and how completely the engine is warmed.

Secondarily, it is vital that you use the proper 3-wire power cord and properly grounded electrical outlet. Weird voltages or improper grounds can induce voltages not friendly to an all electronic system. This can also affect your safety and reduce the likelyhood of receiving an electrical shock.

Lastly, always disconnect the electrical power cord you're using for the block heater before opening the truck's door, attempting to start the engine or turn the key. This will help prevent any possible bad AC electrical voltages (due to the above) from affecting the truck's electronic systems.

Jim