PDA

View Full Version : DB electrical 6.5L starter motor

arveetek
04-11-2006, 09:22
I need a new starter for the 6.5L in my wife's Tahoe.

I've seen a lot of these particular starters sell on ebay:

DB electrical ebay starter. (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CHEVY-GMC-STARTER-6-2-6-5-DIESEL-HIGHER-TORQUE-6468_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33576QQitemZ805459 3739QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW)

I've heard good things about this company, and they've sold thousands of products on ebay and still has 100% positive feedback. The price is unbelievable.

Any thoughts? Anyone else used these starters?

Casey

Bornready6.5
04-11-2006, 09:31
I am restricted from ebay on my work computer...but I think I know what company your talking about. IIRC, I didnt see any problem.

Its worth a shot IMO. Although the price does raise a quality control eyebrow. "You get what ya pay for"

arveetek
04-12-2006, 09:45
Well, I emailed the seller, and he told me the starter is made by Unipoint in Taiwan. It comes with a 1 year warranty, and he says he sells about 15 a week with no problems.

I looked up Unipoint, and they've been making starters, alternators, etc. since 1972. Still, it's made in Taiwan....

Casey

big61fourby
04-12-2006, 10:24
Just some food for thought...as a buyer, I usually leave feedback after I recieve the product and verify that it works. If these things are 'new', he probably wouldn't have many dead on arival cases, resulting in good feedback. My question would be how long they typically last after the 1 year warranty...

Then again, aren't some dealer parts made accross the ocean??

Just something to think about...

arveetek
04-12-2006, 13:27
I found this in searching:

http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/tdpforum/showthread.php?t=7232&highlight=starter

I'll try to find out if Coxfmly has had any troubles.

Casey

john8662
04-12-2006, 14:08
The OEM 28MT starter is made in Japan... If that matters!

J

DmaxMaverick
04-12-2006, 14:46
There's a HUGE difference between "made in Japan", and "made in Taiwan".

KallyI
04-12-2006, 18:43
I've had one of the DB starters on my truck since May 2005. I had the original starter rebuilt 3 times by a local shop, and still had starting trouble. The DB starts my truck withing 2 or 3 revolutions. I've put 15,000 miles on since I got it, and I'm very pleased. Just my 2

arveetek
04-17-2006, 11:24
Well, I decided to try out the DB starter, ordered one today. I may end up having to get one for for my '81 as well! It acted up today, hung up and wouldn't disengage...I had to pull the battery cables to get it to shut off. That's the second time it's hung up on me like that. I've replaced the solenoid a couple of times already. That's the third replacement starter I've put on my '81. I've figured out what "lifetime warranty" means......you end up replacing the starters for life!

Casey

arveetek
04-22-2006, 07:37
I received the new starter and installed it last night. It looks like a really genuine quality part. I set the orignal starter next to the new one, and I couldn't tell any differences at all. The new starter works great. I just hope it lasts a long time.

I think I'll have the old one rebuilt (probably just needs a solenoid anyway) and install it on my '81.

Casey

NH2112
04-22-2006, 08:32
Taiwan is an industrialized nation with a high standard of living, and if they're not considered "first world" they're pretty darn close to it. I'd trust something made in Taiwan.

I bought an eBay 28MT a few years ago but don't remember where it was made. It didn't give me any trouble, and the only reason I'm not using it now is the 6.5l I swapped in already had a good 28MT attached LOL