PDA

View Full Version : Duramax / Isuzu........Is this the end?

Trailboss
04-11-2006, 17:58
I've been thinking of buying an '07 GMC 2500HD D/A but with the news of GM selling their position in Isuzu (main supplier of Duramax) does this mean the end of support/engineering for this engine? Will we be left with "sorta parts" in the future ? Or will GM just "outsource" this part of their vehicle line?

DmaxMaverick
04-11-2006, 18:50
I wouldn't worry about it. GM isn't selling any part of Duramax, LTD, and I'm sure Isuzu isn't, either. The trade/sale with Isuzu won't effect Duramax engine production. The Isuzu parts are already "outsourced", so to speak, from Isuzu, as are Bosch, Delphi, etc.

More Power
04-11-2006, 18:59
Like DM said, GM selling its Isuzu shares (http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/2006-03-30-gm-isuzu_x.htm), at least on the face of it, would not affect DMAX, Ltd, which is a separate company jointly owned by GM/Isuzu.

Jim

hapaschold
04-12-2006, 03:44
i guess the sale of the shares is to raise money fast imo.... ??

D-max Man
04-12-2006, 08:39
They won't raise much money that way.

The main reason I chose to leave Isuzu was because their stock was downgraded to "Junk" status and I didn't see much of a future there.

That being said, the D-Max plant is a joint venture between GM & Isuzu so i beleive that Isuzu will continue to support it.

I know for a fact that GM is gearing up their diesel program. They have hired several people from Detroit Diesel & Isuzu during the past couple of years. They most likley hired from the other diesel manufacturers as well.

Trailboss
04-12-2006, 15:52
Thanks for the info guys. I was not aware of the D-Max company. Since it is/was a seperate company from the joint venture, did GM "BUY" the outstanding position in D-Max? Or does that really matter in the end? The real question is "Will the end user have support down road"?

OC_DMAX
04-12-2006, 18:39
In the press release that I read, GM specifically mentioned that they would continue a business relationship with Isuzu on diesel engines and medium duty trucks.

Besides, the DMAX / Allison combo is one of the few "bright spots" within GM. They are selling a bunch of them (for a lot of $$$).