PDA

View Full Version : New block ID rules...

Dvldog 8793
08-09-2004, 06:47
Howdy
I have recently talked to the engine sales rep at AM General about how to properly ID a new or enhanced block. He told me some things to be on the look-out for:
(1) The "506" blocks were made with both the large and smaller piston oilers without any way to Id them externally.
(2) The Different mounting bolt bosses on the outside can determine the General Motors "enhanced" block.
(3) Not all the GM blocks have ALL the GM enhancements. Mine has the thicker main webs but has the bigger oiler holes. Evidently some transition blocks were made. Extrenally looking like the good ones but internally evil! :D This is what is now a 500lb end table in my shop. :mad:
(4) The best block has the double diamond Navistar logo cast into the valley under the IP/manifold. I was told this is the ONLY way to ID a truely good block :rolleyes: There is a way to determine an assembly date for the long/short blocks by the engraved numbers on them but he didn't seem to want to tell me how???
(5) The Navistar blocks have all the General motors "enhancements" AND an increased Moly content AND better/different casting methods.
I also asked him if he has had any of the new blocks crack and he said maybe a couple of grenaded engines but no chronic problems like before. He said also that the chances of getting an old style NOS block are slim. AM General is suppling all the blocks for replacement and new vehicles. The AMG Optimzer 6500 is the same as a GM Goodwrench 6.5.
I got my GM long block sitting my shop now waiting for a new water pump, hoses, ect... Then in she goes! :D
I'll keep posting as I make progress and also I'll be taking notes. I got this info from Joe Hayes at AMG engine sales(if you want to buy 1000 or so 6.5s this the guy you talk to). He was a great guy to talk with and even returned my call! :eek: I got his number from the AMG website.
L8r
Conley
USMC87-93