PDA

View Full Version : Gooseneck Ball?

IUPAC
04-12-2006, 08:00
My 2500 HD had a gooseneck plate installed by a previous owner, with the nut welded onto the bottom. I am having a difficult time finding a ball that I can put a wrench on. Any body have any ideas, I've tried several web sites and searches. Also, the truck has no previsions for safety chains, I've seen hooks that mount under the trailer ball on its shaft, but again I can't find it. Is this a good idea, or should I just install hooks through my plate?

DmaxMaverick
04-12-2006, 10:43
The nut that retains the ball is welded to the frame mount? I don't think that's legal, or safe. Best bet is to remove the nut and install the ball correctly, through the plate, and secured by tightening the nut, or weld the ball in place. Better yet, install a DOT approved ball platform, which will include safety chain points.

I'd be suspect of the capacity and safety of the ball platform. It sounds like a shade tree job, and can lead to disaster. With no evidence of a safety chain point, it's not likely it was used legally, either.

IUPAC
04-12-2006, 11:13
Very sound advice on the trailer ball. I have seen the same setup before but have limited experience with gooseneck trailers. I will investigate the platform further. Thanks.

jcummins
04-13-2006, 03:53
Use a pipe wrench

Ranger354
04-15-2006, 00:09
On my 2002 I built the platform and lefted the bed to install and bolt it to the frame. The nut was welded to the bottom of the channel iron and the ball had a spacer between it and the nut. I used a 36" pipe wrench with a cheeter pipe to tighten it and loosen it. If your platform is exposed to the top of the bed floor you can weld places for saftey chains to attach. For a better look you can just drill holes on either side of the hitch (thru the plate and bed) and bolt large "I" bolts thru the bed. Make sure to use washers on both sides. The Ball, "I" bolts and everything can be found at South West Wheel or Tractor Supply.

I kept the ball from my old truck, but have never gotten around to installing a GN hitch on my 04. The hitch platform would have fit, but there were no bolt holes in the frame on the 04 like the 02.

Good luck. It is easy if you know what your are doing. Just a little time consuming.

jimmie
04-27-2006, 19:20
there is a trailer manufacter/hitch installer in the next town over from me,been in buisness for better than 25 years.the last two fords i bought both had hitches installed by them,they weld the nut to the bottom of the plate also. i warned them ahead of time about the weights that i pull,and the amount of pulling i do,they told me to relax they have never had a hitch break do to usage.they also custom built the bed on my 96 6.5,nut on it is also welded to base plate.after 10 years of doing buisness with them ,i have yet to have a problem with the way the gn ball was installed.

IUPAC
04-28-2006, 11:58
Using the advice given here and from a bunch of folks, I dropped my truck off at a local place this week that will modify my current plate and install a new ball as well as a brake controller. (the current nut must of come from a small shanked ball) They too, weld the nut on all of the plates they install.