PDA

View Full Version : Vibration and Knock

harwood39
04-12-2006, 14:51
Well, im new to 6.5 TD's and my 1996 Chevy K2500, Manual, has an external engine knock coming frome the belt area, it sounds to be around the fan/crank pulley area. Fan shakes when knock occers but it is not loose. Any ideas of what could be causing this. I know my power steering pump is going bad, but knock doesnt seem to be coming from a bad bearing in the pump. Runs fine besides the vibrating and knock. Good power.

ronniejoe
04-12-2006, 15:11
Welcome to the forum!

These engines have a rubber isolated crank pulley to improve belt life. The rubber can fail. This makes a terrible racket. Do a search here and you'll find pictures that I have posted of my failed pulley. Good luck.

harwood39
04-12-2006, 22:31
thats got to be the problem. Lots of money put into the truck since i purchased it 2000 miles ago. Clutch grenaded due to bad pilot bearing, ate away at the flywheel, than it left me stranded because the t-case tore it self apart due to a broke fork. Oh well paid $5500 for the truck, put $2500 into it so far. still a good truck.

harwood39
04-14-2006, 14:36
Glad that was the problem. Also while it was apart i found out the bearings in the alternator are bad and the tensioner bearings were starting to go so i replaced the tensioner too, replacing the alternator at a different date(when i get some more cash to dump into it). Was going to replace the front main seal at the same time but didnt feel like trying to get the dampener off the crank without a puller. Total i spent about $180. Plus whatever the alternator will be.

P.S. Anybody know the torque specs for the water pump pulley/fan clutch nuts?

MTTwister
04-14-2006, 17:52
Edit - This is Ft-#'s ( boy the table didn't paste very well - see the link to members area
Thermostat to crossover 25-37
Torsional damper 140-162 (200 85+)
Water crossover 25-37
Water pump to front cover to block 25-37
Water pump plate to front cover 13-20
Water pump plate to water pump 13-30
http://www.thedieselpage.com/members/torque.htm