PDA

View Full Version : Air Filters

a5150nut
04-14-2006, 18:24
I had a chance to talk to the equipment manager where I work today. I wanted to know what they had done oil or filter wise because the 99 F250 I drive at work is going on 3 weeks since last oil change and the oil is still almost clear. I thought maybe they were using an aftermarket filter system or something and I wanted to change my 6.5 to that too. He said the only change they have made is an upgrade on the air filter. Bigger box and about 5 inch deep blue pleated paper filter at $75.00 a pop. Still a Ford product, change every other oil change. He said it was cheap insurance at $10k to replace 7.3 motor.

I guese I will have to pop the hood of my work truck and take some measurements and figure out how to make one work on my 6.5.

Anyone have any input here on filter systems?

a5150nut
04-14-2006, 22:03
Well, I had some time this evening and opened up the ford filter. It is plastic element, like corragated cardboard, spiral wound. Where the ridges are it is filled with a white sponge or fabric type media. It is about 5 inches deep and wound in an oval. The box is 10in w, 13in d, 16in l and has a 4 in round outlet.

Hubert
04-16-2006, 04:48
Part of the reason why the oil turns black so quick on the 6.5 is that the oil cooler holds a bunch of black oil in it that does not drain out at oil changes.
When I took my oil cooler off it seeped oil for a long time turned up on its end.
As soon as you drive it a bit the new oil flushes the cooler and almost instantly the new oil has black tinge to it. The Ford also holds what about 15 quarts of oil. It will dilute more soot and look cleaner than the 7 quarts of the 6.5. What kind of oil cooler is on the ford. I am not sure if a water jacket cooler type cooler will hold the same amount of oil as an external???

I once changed my oil twice almost back to back and it was clear for a bit longer but soon turned black. Not sure how fast a new 6.5 turns the oil black. I figure its how clean the burn is ie injectors, timing, fuel, and boost then how well the rings are sealing that determines how quick the oil turns black.

JoeyD
04-16-2006, 05:39
Sounds like the Donaldson filter upgrade for the Power Strokes in the Fords. I see adds to convert them in the back of 4 wheeler mags.

DaveNY
04-16-2006, 05:41
10 Gals in a 3406E cat and after 250 miles (1day) on the Long Island Expwy pulling sand the oil is black. Just what diesels do.
Dave

jeffscarstrucks
04-16-2006, 09:34
You might want to look into an air box and hose from a 97 or 98 6.5 truck. Some one mentioned this upgrade on this forum the other week so I tried it and it worked perfectly. There are several aftermarket filters available for that airbox also. Good Luck, JEFF

LanduytG
04-16-2006, 15:12
The biggest reason for oil turning black so quick in a 6.5TD is combustion byproducts getting by the rings. I have a new rebuilt 6.5 now that the oil stays clean for about 1500 miles.

As for the air filter yes its sounds to be a Donaldson upgrade or could and A,msoil system too.

Greg

a5150nut
04-16-2006, 21:10
I'll look tomarrow if its not raining. I know it is what ever Ford is offering or at least from the dealer.

Dvldog8793
04-17-2006, 18:18
Howdy
My 84 6.2(170k) stays clean(light grey) for about 1000 miles (black). The previuose owner had logged in EVERY oil change since new, no more than 3200 miles between any of them. He used nothing but the cheapest wal-mart brand oil and filters!!! Truely amazing! This truck also has a K/N with prefilter and ram air. My 1999 6.5 has about 40k on the new style Navistar long block, I run a larger oil cooler, remote BIG filters with a bypass. I have flushed the motor about every 10k and run Delvac1 oil. I have a UNI filter(might change to a amsoil) Anyways, this truck will run for about 3 minutes and the oil is a nice gloomy shade of BLACK. Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of the 6.5?????
L8r
Conley

atom_c
04-17-2006, 19:09
I have been happy to hear about all this black 6.5 oil, because when I bought my truck a couple of years ago I was appalled by the inky darkness. I thought maybe I had bought a lemon! It's still running strong.

Adam

Tough Guy
04-17-2006, 21:55
I had a chance to talk to the equipment manager where I work today. I wanted to know what they had done oil or filter wise because the 99 F250 I drive at work is going on 3 weeks since last oil change and the oil is still almost clear. I thought maybe they were using an aftermarket filter system or something and I wanted to change my 6.5 to that too. He said the only change they have made is an upgrade on the air filter. Bigger box and about 5 inch deep blue pleated paper filter at $75.00 a pop. Still a Ford product, change every other oil change. He said it was cheap insurance at $10k to replace 7.3 motor.

I guese I will have to pop the hood of my work truck and take some measurements and figure out how to make one work on my 6.5.

Anyone have any input here on filter systems?

I have the Donaldson/AIS airbox and filter on my PSD, they are a great filter, if you can make it work for the 6.5L it would be one of the best air filters you could install...they are not cheap, but they do last up to 35,000 miles...and the filtering is second to none.

FWIW, the PP 6.5L Truck generally had fairly clear oil on the dip-stick for the first 2000 miles after an oil change. even with 200,000 miles on it...

Chris

Craig M
04-26-2006, 15:10
a5150nut

Have you been able to confirm the make of the "new" air filter. Donaldson was mentined by others, but what did you find?

a5150nut
04-26-2006, 21:25
Finaly remembered to look at it, Motocraft. Says Power Stroke on the outside and has a tatle tale with a 2 wire plug on it I would guess for an idiot lite. I think he said $79 each for the element but cheap compaired to $10k for a new motor. These trucks are drive on construction sites daily for a national construction company. Mine has 150k on the ticker.

First the hair, then the eyes,...........and I can't remeber what else.

Bnave95
04-27-2006, 01:05
The biggest reason for oil turning black so quick in a 6.5TD is combustion byproducts getting by the rings. I have a new rebuilt 6.5 now that the oil stays clean for about 1500 miles.

As for the air filter yes its sounds to be a Donaldson upgrade or could and A,msoil system too.

Greg
I say go with the Amsoil ef series-never look back:D

damork
04-28-2006, 21:49
The new PS filters are made by Donaldson.