PDA

View Full Version : Kill switch circuits?

rsparks
04-14-2006, 21:42
I would like to install a kill switch in my duramax and would like to get some recommendations from those of you that know the circuits in the fuse box better than I do. The starter circuit seems to be a good one. Is the Fuel ht circuit for the fuel pump? If this circuit was disrupted would it not allow the fuel pump to run?

DmaxMaverick
04-14-2006, 23:55
Fuel HT is the fuel [filter] heater. The Duramax doesn't have an OEM electric fuel pump. The vans do, but they only work before/during a start, and the engine will start without it.

The ignition circuit relay would be ideal. Let it crank, or a crook will look for a switch (you want the switch for security, right?). If it cranks, and doesn't start, they usually give up, not to mention the noise a cranking engine makes.

rsparks
04-15-2006, 14:50
Yes I want it for security. I know I can

DmaxMaverick
04-15-2006, 15:06
Yes, it has a "fuel shutoff", but not like the 6.5/6.2. It is embedded in the data logic, so a switch won't help.

If you just disable the ignition circuit, it will allow it to crank, but the injectors won't get fuel. Best to keep it simple, and stay out of the logic. If you want, you can forget the switch, and just use a bad fuse in its place. Don't just pull the fuse, these crooks are getting smarter all the time. In many cases, if a vehicle doesn't crank, they'll check the fuse panel for a missing fuse.

You could install a solenoid or manual valve on the fuel supply line. This will allow the truck to start, but will stall and not restart in a few seconds. Anything to keep the crooks busy doing anything but driving away will usually prevent a theft, by slowing them down enough to get interupted.

rsparks
04-18-2006, 23:46
DmaxMaverick thanks for your assistance. I used the ignition system as you suggested and it seems to work fine. Just have to be careful not to leave it off when trying to start. I accidentally knocked it into limp mode when testing to see that it would shut it down while running. Several on off cycles seemed to clear it and it started running normally again.

SoTxPollock
04-20-2006, 10:32
rsparks, just wanted to say your switch idea is an excellent one. Back when I was a youngster driving around the country I make up a panel of 6 switches and mounted them in plain sight and wired them up to different combinations of fuel cutoff solinoid, horn, lights alarm,etc and the only way you could get the truck to start and drive off and keep going was to have all the switches in their proper position. I don't know if it drove anyone crazy trying to figure it out. I had a few things stolen out of the truck, but I still have the truck to this day.