PDA

View Full Version : Injectors?

98 chevy cheyenne man
04-17-2006, 11:08
I am fairly new to the diesel Chev myself I have only had it 2 yrs.(haaa my mistake letting the ex have it for so long )
I had a water in fuel light come on over the past few weeks and constant stalling out. I dropped the tank (dumped fuel, replaced fuel filter) bled lines and all the rest that I got advice to do and it is still stalling out when I am driving occasionaly. I have done my home work and now am starting to think it is the fuel injectors (being as the truck was neglected for so long)
the water in fuel light keeps comming on , and the service the throttle light as well if it is the throttle body what could I be expecting in the way of costs?
Any help would be appreciated I am just so glad I found this site IT ROCKS, I am going to subscribe and get my hands on those trouble shooting guides as well, why pay mechs when I can learn myself.
Thanks so much
Gordon

JohnC
04-17-2006, 11:25
Did you find water in the tank? the sensor is in the filter housing, so if you didn't bleed it then you will still get the indication.

The "throttle" is just an electronic position indicator attached to the pedal. there is no ""Throttle body" to worry about.

98 chevy cheyenne man
04-17-2006, 11:55
Thank you for the post I am going to check that tonight, I have read so many threads on here it gets a little boggeled trying to pin point what it could be I seem to have symptoms of alot of posts on stalling. the white smoke the shimmy whiel drive the surging apparently it also could be the LP and fuel system vacum? haaa man talk about a needle in a hay stack.
I was trying to get an idea if I take it to a shop and they say I need one or two or whatever injector apparently at like 500-700 dollars or somethign a piece, that was actualy my problem I klnow mechanics need to eat but I dont want to get hosed either.

Hubert
04-17-2006, 14:55
99% of the time start diagnostics for rough operation with verify fuel delivery and quality.

Could you have recontaminate from same source??? Could be a coincidence of some stuff or multiple problems. Just fix them one at a time. Read a couple of threads on filter replacement there are good practices and bad. IMHO DON"T just follow the owners manual instructions. Did you wipe out the filter manager bowl and clean any sludge from bottom of bowl. Did you see any major contamination? Did you add any additives to fuel on refill. That would be recommended for fuel system clean up.

Fill out your truck profile and search the forum then ask questions. Try and give as much detail of problem as possible. Then it will be question and answer to resolve.

JohnC
04-18-2006, 11:27
No way "one or 2 injectors" should run $500-$700. If the tank was contaminated, once you get it cleaned out, purge then change the fuel filter. (It is also the water separator.) Verify the lift pump runs whne it should. Once you've gotten that far, if the problems persist, we can go from there.

98 chevy cheyenne man
04-24-2006, 16:37
Thank you all very much for the repplies to the stalling issues on my 6.5 turbo diesel 1998 chevy cheyenne, I took it in to a diesel repair shop after the hicups were getting a little to scary ie (stalling out through an intersection) They said after the diagnostics the meter read no faulty numbers in the engine but the cause of my problem was the Fuel regulator mechanism /resister and heat sink (needed to come along with it) they dinged me 1 k for labour and parts I am thinking that was high, but after almost getting hit with three kids in the truck I said to heck with it and bit the bullet. As it stands right now the hic ups are gone, white smoke still is apparent but only at initial start up , then a small amount of black smoke which I was under the empression was a oil or oil pressure issue?