PDA

View Full Version : Liberty sales show US buyers want diesels

16gaSxS
04-17-2006, 13:17
Published April 13, 2006
Steven Cole Smith
Orlando Sentinel

An item in this week's Automotive News was a bit of an eye-catcher: Apparently the diesel version of the Jeep Liberty sport ute "seems to have passed its U.S. marketing test," the story said. "Chrysler says it sold 10,313 diesel-powered Libertys in the vehicle's first full year on the market -- roughly double its target figure.

"Chrysler spokesman Jason Vines said the company felt the Liberty CRD would sell well despite diesel's image problem in the United States. In the late 1970s, General Motors rushed diesels into production with disastrous results that still resonate in the marketplace," the story continued. " 'There's a whole generation of adults who think diesels are noisy, smelly . . . and they have influenced their children's buying habits,' Vines said."

What makes this especially interesting is that the diesel version of the Jeep Liberty is, well, certainly noisy. Despite all the wonderful diesels Mercedes-Benz builds, Chrysler's parent, DaimlerChrysler, chose a cobby, loud, rattling 2.8-liter, four-cylinder turbocharged diesel engine built in Italy. Mileage, EPA-rated at 21 miles per gallon city, 26 highway, is unexceptional. Horsepower, at 160, is modest. Wrote a colleague: "It's not an engine, so much as a gem tumbler." Ouch.

Even so, it's a diesel, and in the Liberty, it works reasonably well. At the outset, Jeep executives said they'd be happy with 5,000 sales, and even with an engine that is substantially less than state of the art, they doubled that.

And the Liberty Diesel isn't cheap. To the Liberty Sport package, the diesel and the required optional equipment add a minimum of $3,055 to the base price of the V-6 model. The regular 3.7-liter, 210-horsepower V-6 is rated at 17 mpg city, 22 highway, and because diesel fuel is more expensive than regular gas, it's unlikely Liberty diesel owners will feel any sort of benefit in the pocketbook, immediate or otherwise.

So here's the bottom line: A less-than-perfect diesel package in a good little SUV sells at a rate more than double company projections. You know what this should tell the industry? That a segment of the auto-buying population, including me, wants diesels.

In small cars such as the Toyota Yaris and Honda Fit, clean, smooth-running little turbodiesels could deliver hybridlike fuel economy, with above-adequate acceleration. In a car the size of a Ford Crown Victoria, a diesel could get you the mileage of a Ford Focus. A new generation of diesel fuel will be arriving shortly, and coupled with breakthroughs in diesel technology, the cars will rival gas engines in cleanliness.

The Europeans are begging to bring us diesels that use urea injection that would further clean the exhaust. Urea injection uses a chemical that, as the name suggests, is similar to urine. Tiny amounts of urea injected into the engine, from a tank aboard the car, scrub the exhaust. But when the urea tank runs dry, the engine runs just as well, but pollutes more. The federal government insists that Americans would run the urea tank dry, and simply not bother to have it refilled. The simple solution is to have a flashing dash light and a buzzer, similar to those that insist you buckle your seat belt, go off when the tank runs dry. Link it to the ignition so you can't disable the light and buzzer, and people will have the tank refilled as required, which could be as seldom as every 12,000 miles.

And bingo: We're driving cars that get 40 or 50 mpg, and we are saving money and oil. This is why half of the European market -- 70 percent in some places -- is diesel.

Diesels are here from VW, Mercedes and Jeep, and more are coming, but not fast enough. It would be wise for the Bush administration to help grease the path for diesel engines to come to the United States.

Right now.

Tough Guy
04-17-2006, 16:47
The people want efficient Diesels, Jeep will be offering another new Diesel to the SUV market this coming year in the Grand Cherokee. Hopefully this trend will continue, and more Diesels will become available in a wider market segment.

Chris

n3qik
04-23-2006, 17:34
I will second that. If it wasn't for the diesel option, would be driving something else like a Sprinter.

hapaschold
05-21-2006, 02:29
even if the diesels are only getting 20-25% better fuel economy, savings will be realized, especially when gas/diesel prices settle in to europe s range of 5-6 dollars/gallon.

and being gasoline/ethanol blends get even less mpg. i dont understand that move, less mpg = burning more fuel which = more emmisions ?

so, imo diesel is the future. been working great in europe for many years.

SoCal_XJ
05-29-2006, 11:59
and being gasoline/ethanol blends get even less mpg. i dont understand that move, less mpg = burning more fuel which = more emmisions ?

The benefits of ethanol are not MPG, they are 1) up to 80% less emmissions, 2) decreased dependence on foreign oil, and 3) renewable energy (in theory without limit) that supports our own economy (not arab countries)

Even though ethanol engines do get a few less MPG, there is no increase in emissions since they already reduce emissions by up to 80% comparred to gasoline only vehicles.

While diesel certainly helps the MPG issue (and therefore consumption), it does not address the dependence on foreign oil, or the fact that oil will ultimately run out (albeit not in our lifetimes), and creates more pollutants than ethanol (though low sulfur and better refined fuel is already in process).

Now, factor in the ability to run on bio-diesel and the pollutant and dependence on foreign oil issue equalize. So, it seems that ethanol burning gas engines and bio-diesel(B100) burning diesel engines can be a solution until more advanced technology such as hydrogen become viable.

convert2diesel
05-29-2006, 20:28
If you are going to blame anyone, start with your EPA. It is now so expensive (i'M TALKING MILLIONS HERE) to get a new engine certified for the American market that the big three are very reluctant to introduce an engine that might not sell.

Seems if it is a varient of an existing engine, then the cost is much lower. Both Mercedes and VW engines used have previously been certified in the USA. The only certification cost is in the modifications. Would be very interested in finding out how much it cost Ford and GM for their 6.0 and Duramax engines....or for that matter the VM Moterie in the Lberty.

The diesels offered in Europe and Aisia would open up the market here if only the EPA would get off their thuds and make it easier to get these engines certified. Can we all say conspiracy??? Big oil controlling the EPA??? What do I know I'm only a Canadian stuck with the throw offs from south of the border.

Bill

Felix Van campenhout
06-05-2006, 12:46
I have about 11K miles on my 2005 Jeep CRD and seem to have gotten a "Friday" car. I want to know if anyone else has had my problems. At about 9K miles, the intercoler turbo hose disconnected and caused me to loose all power. Needles to say I could only limp to the dealer for service, car ran but rough as heck, no power to speak of. Dealer said hose clamp was never installed on hose at factory. Six weeks ago, the "engine check" light came on and the diagnostic was that the #2 glow plug went bad. OK they fixed that.. 3 weeks ago "engine check"light came on and diagnostics stated that #3 glow plug went bad. Took them a total of 4 and a half days to get the car back to me because of having to "get" parts. Today I went by the dealer and asked for and got my invoice sheets. Here is what I saw regarding the fix to the last problem: 1 glow plug, 1 T/Body (throttle body??) -EGR gasket and airflow control, 1 sealer and 1 gasket. Also listed was "reflash updates for the ECM and the TCM. Cleared codes and relearned trans volumes". TSB 18-009-06. I can't seem to find what the TSB is all about, and secondly what does the T/body EGR have to do with replacing a glow plug?. It seems to me that the Dodge/Chrysler dealer has much Cummis experience but not much with the Italian CRD Diesel... Can someone shed some light for me. Does the fact of loosing the intercoller hose have anything to do with goofing up the glow plugs and T/Body -EGR airflow control... :confused:

Tough Guy
06-08-2006, 15:46
I have about 11K miles on my 2005 Jeep CRD and seem to have gotten a "Friday" car. I want to know if anyone else has had my problems. At about 9K miles, the intercoler turbo hose disconnected and caused me to loose all power. Needles to say I could only limp to the dealer for service, car ran but rough as heck, no power to speak of. Dealer said hose clamp was never installed on hose at factory. Six weeks ago, the "engine check" light came on and the diagnostic was that the #2 glow plug went bad. OK they fixed that.. 3 weeks ago "engine check"light came on and diagnostics stated that #3 glow plug went bad. Took them a total of 4 and a half days to get the car back to me because of having to "get" parts. Today I went by the dealer and asked for and got my invoice sheets. Here is what I saw regarding the fix to the last problem: 1 glow plug, 1 T/Body (throttle body??) -EGR gasket and airflow control, 1 sealer and 1 gasket. Also listed was "reflash updates for the ECM and the TCM. Cleared codes and relearned trans volumes". TSB 18-009-06. I can't seem to find what the TSB is all about, and secondly what does the T/body EGR have to do with replacing a glow plug?. It seems to me that the Dodge/Chrysler dealer has much Cummis experience but not much with the Italian CRD Diesel... Can someone shed some light for me. Does the fact of loosing the intercoller hose have anything to do with goofing up the glow plugs and T/Body -EGR airflow control... :confused:

I think the intercooler hose was an isolated problem not connected to the glow plug issue...The TSB they performed for you covers a few issues and one of them is glow plug programming...Here is a link to that particular TSB: TSB (http://www.alldata.com/tsb/Chrysler/1142323200000_1143619200000_18-009-06/91.html)