PDA

View Full Version : For Everyones Information

jmannen
04-18-2006, 03:48
I just wanted to let everyone know, I recently, January, purchased a 2003 GMC 4500 with a Duramax engine. The truck only has 70000 miles on it. It developed a low end knock, needs a new engine. General Motors declined the warrranty because they said that I might have overloaded the engine. The General Motors Regional Service Manager is the one that declined the warranty, not the dealership. I thought that people with an interest in Duramax engines would like to know. The dealership quoted me $17000 to put a new engine in. Please comment, I would like to know if this has happend to anyone else.

Inspector
04-18-2006, 09:26
More info.
Is the truck, a box van, chassis cab, custom fiver hauler? I can't for the life of me imagine overloading a 4500 except to chain it to a tree and floor boarding it till it pops. What is the history of the truck? What was it used for in its prior life. I wonder what the rep was thinking.
Sorry to hear of your problems with the general.
Denny

SoTxPollock
04-18-2006, 10:11
I don't believe them, they're trying to make money off of you. All diesel engines will develop a lower end knock after some time due to wear on the rod bearings, crankshaft bearings and wrist pins. Sounds are very subjective and can be heard at different levels just by turning your head from side to side while driving a diesel truck. Unless they can pinpoint exactly what has failed, cracked or broken you didn't overload the engine, thats not a possibility with the onboard computers doing the adjustment and monitoring of the engine performance. If your right foot didn't exceed 100 percent of the petal position which is checked by 3 separate readings, how do they propose that you might have overloaded the engine. What codes were set?
Know any good Television investigative reporters that want a story. I think you got one.

DickWells
04-23-2006, 19:04
Your post doesn't give your location, but I wouldn't give up on GM, regardless. No-one is exempt from hireing idiots, and GM has more than their share. There are places to go in every location for grievances. The Better Business Bureau and,/or the State Attorney Generals Office come to mind. Sometimes, just the threat of contacting the authorities is enough to get these jokers off their duff. Also, I don't think GM wants to go on record as being in the same boat as Ford with the 03-04 Power Stroke. I know a young guy back home who had all kinds of trouble with Ford trying to get them to step up to their responsibilities for a number of things that were still under waranty. I don't know if he's still with Ford.
Anyway, stick to yoiur guns. They have to let you see the history off the computer for all that's been done to the truck. (At GM dealerships) Like the last post says, they and you need to see the defect codes. I can't believe that the engine could be that badly damaged without hurting the transmission, too. Did the oill look like it had metal in it? Unless someone cleared the codes before you got it, they should show that it had gone to limp-home. (I think. Check with the old hands on the DP for this)
Post this on the Forum for more ideas from the old hands. You'll get resolution with this. Just don't let them get away with it.
Good luck.
Dick Wells