PDA

View Full Version : For Everyones Information

jmannen
04-18-2006, 03:49
I just wanted to let everyone know, I recently, January, purchased a 2003 GMC 4500 with a Duramax engine. The truck only has 70000 miles on it. It developed a low end knock, needs a new engine. General Motors declined the warrranty because they said that I might have overloaded the engine. The General Motors Regional Service Manager is the one that declined the warranty, not the dealership. I thought that people with an interest in Duramax engines would like to know. The dealership quoted me $17000 to put a new engine in. Please comment, I would like to know if this has happend to anyone else.

D-max Man
04-18-2006, 07:45
they said that I might have overloaded the engine.

They have to prove that!

I work for Detroit Diesel and I make decisions every day as to whether someones warranty claim gets paid or not.

We have a steadfast rule here - "Prove it or pay it". If we don't have enough evidence to prove our case in a court of law, we pay the claim. We always give the benefit of doubt to the customer.

Of course our customers tend to be repeat buyers and many buy several engines at a time so we can't go around ticking them off.

More Power
04-18-2006, 07:57
As Paul Harvey would say about "the rest of the story", I suspect the regional service manager made his decision based on something...

What's the truck got on it (at the time of the service visit) that it didn't have from the factory? :)

Jim

Mark Rinker
04-18-2006, 08:39
...and if worst comes to worst, don't overlook the fact that low mile take-out engines are selling for ~5K, complete. You could utilized the long block, sell the bolt-ons (turbo, ECM, water pump, alternator, harness, etc...) and repower your truck for 4K plus your time or labor costs.

hapaschold
04-22-2006, 15:39
wasnt long ago i saw couple dmaxs on ebay for 4 or 5 k......total loss take outs.... lly s i believe..

17 k for a dealer install..........WOW

how did they say truck was overloaded ???? how can they tell ??

MartyB
04-22-2006, 21:28
This guy is spreading this thing around every where he can post at. He bought the truck last January with 53K miles, now has 70K miles. Will not say what he is pulling, other than a 300HP motor should pull what ever he wants it to! I personally think he is pulling overloaded per the 4500 specs, ie the motor, and allison tranny with max ratings of 26K lbs GVWR and GCWR.

DickWells
04-23-2006, 19:15
Whoops! OK, MartyB. I bit on it, and gave my input, :rolleyes: over on the towing forum. Should I feel as stupid right now as I do?
Dick Wells