PDA

View Full Version : Allison Transyn and alternatives

SJR
04-19-2006, 07:19
Talked to Allison and they recommend their Synthetic rated TES 295 at $33/gallon. Complete flush takes 18 quarts.

Local GM shop uses Dextron VI (six) when they flush.

Anyone know of alternative synthetic that meets the Allison TES 295 specs?

30,000 miles, out of GM warranty, should I just use the Dextron and be done with it?

Thanks
SJR

jbplock
04-19-2006, 14:53
SJR,

Here’s a quote from an Allison Service Tip I downloaded from the Allison website …

“Optimum performance and reliability of heavy-duty automatic transmissions can be noticeably influenced by the type of fluid used and the frequency with which that fluid is changed. Allison Transmission Division and General Motors have designed extensive programs including specifications and tests to verify the quality of fluids and consequently have specific fluid and filter change recommendations. Due to field studies, changes in emission requirements, vehicle design, and operating environments, Allison Transmission has realigned recommended fluid and filter change intervals to more closely match the operating environment heavy-duty automatic transmissions are found in today. Allison Transmission began 1/1/02 final testing MD/HD Product Line, AT, MT, and HT transmissions with TranSynd™ fluid. Customers may continue to choose from a wide variety of approved DEXRON

Kennedy
04-20-2006, 07:39
Depends how you use the truck. With conventional Dex3 I'd suggest more frequent changes. For Severe Duty, just bite the bullet and go to Transynd. I run Transynd in mine although I need to switch my 2005 over yet as I used Dex 3 on my kit install.

nlp
04-24-2006, 13:26
Amsoil does, but it's not much less $$$ than Transynd.