PDA

View Full Version : New engine break in....

Dvldog 8793
08-10-2004, 05:36
Howdy
I am getting ready to put my new GM 6.5 long block into the truck and figured I better check with Mr.OK-wrench to find out what the General wants me to do as far as break-in is concerned. To my suprise the they said there is NO break-in period for a new motor and that when I drive it out of the shop I can hook up my trailer and "puthertotherugs". Maybe things have changed since I was building hotrod motors, but this break-in thing used to be almost a voodoo science. I know that this subject is probably as biased and varied as the "Whats-the-best-oil?" but I'm just looking for personal/professional opinions and then I'll go from there. I've already figured that I'm going to prime the block prior to start-up and then drain the initial oil at about 30minutes of run time and then again at about 1000 miles.
Thanks in advance!
L8r
Conley Janssen

jbell
08-10-2004, 06:23
http://www.thedieselpage.com/reviews/avanteng.htm

Dr. Lee has a break-in paragraph on what he did for his new engine... Sounds good to me. You basically want to seat the rings by varying the motor speed and load for the first few minutes, before the first oil change. After that, on tractor diesel engines we would go out and pull the P#$$ out of them for an hour or two. If we didn't do that -- motor would never deliver as much hp as we expected. So yes, I would have a heavy trailer ready to pull, and I would still vary rpm a little for the first hour, no cruise control, and BIG hills.

My 2c.