PDA

View Full Version : Another One Bites The Dust

AC Bingel
04-19-2006, 19:37
I never thought it would happen and especially at 123,000 miles but the block cracked on my 1999 Suburban. There was a pretty large crack at the #2 main webbing and right up the cylinder. I called GM customer service and they told me to get the crack verified at a GM dealer and depending what was found they may help with the cost.

I took the motor down to a local GM dealer who verified the crack. They contacted the district rep who said since it was out of warranty they would not help. I then called GM customer service back who said since the rep declined to help that they could'nt help either. Kind of ticks me off since they new it was well out of warranty and still told me to get the problem verified. What a waste of time.

Anyways the good news is I live in Grand Rapids Michigan and Penninsular Diesel is right up the road. I picked up my brand new Penninsular engine today and am hoping to have it installed later next week. The owner, Matt Konning, is a great guy. He spent well over an hour with me showing me around the shop and answering all the questions I had. With new injectors the bill came to $6900. Writing that check hurt but the truck is in such good shape I didn't want to put another stock GM piece of crap 6.5 in it only to face the same problems again in the future.

As far as GM is concerned, I am not through with them. I am going to write endless letters and maybe even drive over to Detroit and drop the cracked block on their door step. I sure would be interested in getting a class action law suit going. If anyone has a clue how to get one going I am willing to do a lot of the leg work.

I will post how the 18:1 runs after install.

john8662
04-19-2006, 20:57
Hmm, letter writing and such doesn't do much good for getting you any compensation though. I tried this route with some letters.. I did get a call from a rep, but nothing more!

We'll all be driving Hondas soon anyways...

I hope the new engine treats you right (I suspect it will)!

Kennedy
04-20-2006, 07:22
I had a guy with less than 110k (103k I believe) on a 99 that cracked back in 2001? and was still denied warranty...

DieselDavy
04-20-2006, 08:13
AC,
Just wondering, what did you get for your money? Is this block have anything to stregthen the bottom end?
Dave

AC Bingel
04-20-2006, 17:57
I am getting a brand new 2006 block with 18:1 pistons. I was told the block is made by GEP and is much better in quality. I was told by Matt that splayed mains are not necessary with the new block and 18:1. They have thouroughly tested these engines. He assured me this engine would far outlast the GM produced one. Below is a little of what is on their web site about the engine.

"Since 1999 the engine block has been produced by a subsidiary of AM GENERAL, builder of the HUMMV or HUMMER

computer-monkey
04-28-2006, 20:01
AC, the new GM 6.5 engines are AM General engines from Penninsular Diesel are the same, they just don't have the 18:1 pistons in them. An engineer at the plant told me that they use 20:1 instead of the 21:1 that the first engines used. http://www.amgeneral.com/vehicles_gep_specifications.php

I don't know if it was the luck of the draw or what, but I gathered as much data from the engineer, from thedieselpage.com and where else I could find it plus all of my maintenance records and took them to the GM rep. He ended up replacing my long block and the turbo for two hundred dollars. My suburban had 109,000 miles but was two years out of warranty. Hopefully you will be able to do the same.

AC Bingel
04-28-2006, 20:43
I spoke with the GM rep here in Michigan and he told me GM wouldn't even consider helping me out because I was 23,000 miles out of warranty. I told him about all the cracked blocks I knew of from the guys on the Diesel Page. He said he is not aware of any problems with the 6.5 block. I think he could have helped if he really wanted to but didn't seem to concerned with my problem.

I spent a little over a month trying to get GM to help. It was getting to the point where I couldn't wait any longer with summer right around the corner and needing my Suburban fixed to pull my camper and boat.

The new Peninsular motor should be installed by the end of next week. The lower compression will give me greater peace of mind with all the modifications I have made. I think if I would have left my truck stock the motor would still be running today. I just don't think the stock motor is made to make many of the modifications people are making on them.

Sounds like luck was on your side. Thanks for your reply.

Bnave95
04-28-2006, 21:25
I spoke with the GM rep here in Michigan and he told me GM wouldn't even consider helping me out because I was 23,000 miles out of warranty. I told him about all the cracked blocks I knew of from the guys on the Diesel Page. He said he is not aware of any problems with the 6.5 block. I think he could have helped if he really wanted to but didn't seem to concerned with my problem.

I spent a little over a month trying to get GM to help. It was getting to the point where I couldn't wait any longer with summer right around the corner and needing my Suburban fixed to pull my camper and boat.

The new Peninsular motor should be installed by the end of next week. The lower compression will give me greater peace of mind with all the modifications I have made. I think if I would have left my truck stock the motor would still be running today. I just don't think the stock motor is made to make many of the modifications people are making on them.

Sounds like luck was on your side. Thanks for your reply.

Gm warrent my eng. @ 65K for oil useage,one QT every 400 mile.R&R a long block in 2000. By the markings on the block it is not a GEP:( To date the OD has 153,500 With most of all the power upgrades done @ 75K. The Eng. seems less straned with the power upgrades then when it was stock.Cross my fingers when I near the 110-130k mark on the Eng..:eek:

computer-monkey
04-29-2006, 10:01
AC, is there a chance you can contact another dealer or even another rep?

AC Bingel
04-29-2006, 11:20
I talked to three different GMC dealers and every one of them said I had to go through customer service. From what I have heard, if a dealer really wants to help they can make a difference. Unfortunatley I haven't found the right dealer yet. I may try to get a hold of another rep but I'm sure he will side with his co worker that already refused to help me out.

I'm getting to the point where I am about to put this frustrating experience behind me and really think twice before purchasing another GM vehicle again.

ace58
04-29-2006, 21:41
I also bit the bullet and am currently installing a Peninsular 18.1 engine. I have been working at it for 2 weeks. I hope to have it running tomorrow. Good luck with your project.

Robyn
05-02-2006, 21:26
AC
I had always been a Ford person. Started driving GM in 80 after Ford went in the toilet.
I bought another Ford in 97 with a 7.3 powerstroke in it. OMG what a :POS
I finally got rid of it at 24K miles and it had had the engine in and out 3 times and electrical problems up the wazoooooooooooooo.
Ford never could fix that heap. I tossed it at 24 K and bought a 86 GMC dually 1 ton 4X4 and built a long stroke 503 for it (30 over 454 with a 3/8 stroker crank) gawd what an animal. 9.25 Comp and real easy cam. Will scare you, Smoke the duals on dry pavement. Just wish it would get MPG like my 6.5.
I know its frustrating but I will keep my GM I had a Dodge Cummins too. NEVER AGAIN.
My kingdom for a 91 Sub with a 6.2
Robyn

computer-monkey
05-09-2006, 22:04
Are you installing an air to air intercooler, water injection? What boost are you running the turbo at? Did you get the turbo from Peninsular motor or running the orginal?

TurboDiverArt
05-11-2006, 12:55
I'm getting to the point where I am about to put this frustrating experience behind me and really think twice before purchasing another GM vehicle again.
And the sad part is that even if you told them you would never buy another GM product, ran out and bought a brand new PowerStoke or Dodge Cummings and sent them the receipt, they would not care! And they wonder why sales are down and the stock is in the crapper. I've always been a GM guy but I just don't know anymore. They just don't deliver what the customer wants in products or service.... I think they've gotten too big and need to shrink, have really hard times to wake up, I just hope it's not too late before they smarten up!

Art.

AC Bingel
05-11-2006, 20:23
The motor is not completely in yet but I will be running the stock turbo. It was putting out 15 psi when running on the old motor. I do not have a intercooler installed at this point. I am waiting for Bill Heath's water to air intercooler; but the intercooler will have to wait until next year as this project will be well over $8,000 by the time its running. I sure hope its worth it.

computer-monkey
05-17-2006, 18:09
any new news?

AC Bingel
05-17-2006, 21:19
I was told I will be driving it by the weekend. I will post again after I take it for a test drive. I am getting pretty anxious to drive it as I have heard many positive things about the 18:1 Peninsular motor.

computer-monkey
05-24-2006, 08:19
Any good test data?

AC Bingel
05-26-2006, 18:12
Finally fired the new motor up. It started instantly and ran smooth. I have been driving it for a few days now and I love it. It has plenty of power and is quieter than the old stock motor. I have the timing set to -1.50 and will probably leave it there. It also appears to be running about 150 degrees cooler. I only have a 15psi boost gauge and the needle sits on 15 quite a bit with the Westers reflash I have installed. I need to purchase a 30 psi gauge so I can really see what it is doing.

Going with Peninsular was money well spent. I know a lot of guys think they are pricey, but you get what you pay for. I plan on keeping my truck for many years to come so the updated AMG block and 18:1 was the only way to go.

I have been talking with Matt from Peninsular through out the entire installation process. He was always available to answer questions. He's one of a kind. Matt told me he is working on a intercooler that fits behind the grill. He is going to have all the parts tooled later this summer. He led me to believe that it was going to cost less than the current set ups out there. A intercooler of some sort will be my next purchase ( either Heaths water to air or Peninsulars). I'm not overly thrilled with exposing the intercooler underneath the truck. Then after saving my pennies I am going to go with a high output fuel pump. Matt said the new 18:1 can handle performance upgrades much better than the stock motor.