PDA

View Full Version : Wire Chafing?

MikeyB
04-20-2006, 13:29
My friend was at a local shop here in Colorado that had a 2001 2500HD getting a new Duramax engine (unfortunately out of warranty). The shop guys said some wires had chafed through the pre-turbo pipe and got enough metal filings in the turbo and engine to ruin it. I find this hard to believe but did look around my engine compartment just in case. The pre-turbo pipe coming off the plastic airbox tube looks like cast aluminum to me and I don't see how wires could chafe through it but I guess anything is possible. How about the metal intercooler tubes, they appear to be light gauge aluminum but I didn't see anything nearby that could chafe them. Anyone heard of this or have any input?

Thanks,
Mike

mark45678
04-20-2006, 17:54
the only way I would buy that story would be with seeing it with my own two eyes....... The 2001 trucks had a problem with the airfilter getting wet and getting sucked in, maybe this is one of the early trucks with this problem????

SoTxPollock
04-24-2006, 10:20
I wouldn't buy that story at all. All the wiring is copper, thats a pretty soft material compared to a turbo blade. In fact the copper is softer than the aluminum pipe. Strange Strange.