PDA

View Full Version : Allison filter change...FORGOT Magnet! Now What?

stilly
04-20-2006, 21:25
Well, I learned another lesson..., as I'm looking at transynd threads on the BB after just changing my transmission filter, I realize that there's a MAGNET in the old filter (now in the trash). What are the consequences of not replacing that for the time being? I'm on the verge of a 700 mile trip..., starting tomorrow! Should I stop off at the dealer and get that taken care of? Thanks.

tanker
04-21-2006, 02:04
Stilly, I would not worry that much if you don't have time to get one prior to your trip, but do get one first chance you can. It will collect harmful ferrous shavings from wearing other parts in your transmisson.
You mentioned changing to "Transyn", thats a plus which will help run 20-40 cooler than standard ATF. If you tow you may also wish to buy a deep pan from Allison (about $50.00) and a deep internal filter to increase your capacity by about 3 quarts. "Transyn" runs about $32.00 per gallon. I got the best price from Allison on the pan, filter, and "Transyn".

stilly
04-21-2006, 07:11
Thanks Tanker. I'll get one as soon as I can....

Mark Rinker
04-21-2006, 07:25
With three trucks being serviced by someone else, now I wonder if any of mine are missing the magnet as well...

What do they look like, where do they go?

DmaxMaverick
04-21-2006, 13:29
The magnet looks like a large washer (flat doughnut), ~2" dia, with a ~3/4" hole in the middle. It installs on top of the filter, and the hole mates with the nipple on the tranny along with the threaded hole in the filter. Sometimes, the magnet will stick to the tranny when the filter is removed. It needs to be cleaned when the filter is replaced. A buildup of metal dust on it is normal, just like a gearbox or diff. plug.

The magnets can be had at an Allison dealer/distributor for a couple bucks, and is a stocked item. The dealer, at last check, was over $12, and may have to be ordered.

I agree running without it temporarily won't hurt. Replace it at your soonest convenience, and more importantly if you are towing. You can install the magnet on the filter you have in place now. No need to replace the filter with new. If you have a filter wrench on board, you should be able to take care of it in a parking lot, etc, as soon as you get the magnet. Check your route for an Allison dealer and pick one up on the way.