PDA

View Full Version : How do I remove the AC compressor pulley/clutch?

johnny2can
04-20-2006, 22:30
Not directly diesel-related, but...

My AC compressor pulley bearing disintegrated such that when the belt is off, the pulley just flops around the clutch mechanism... with the belt on, the belt tension is enough to keep the pulley from turning (smoke and metal everywhere!).

How do I pull the clutch to replace? It looks like it's designed to have a special puller installed to remove it from the compressor shaft... I tried prying it off (heh, heh... :D ) but refrigerant started leaking (only a little bit, and it stopped when I stopped yankin' on it).

If I buy a new clutch, does it come with a new pulley and bearing, or do I buy those separate?

Needless to say, the truck doesn't move until I get this fixed (no belt = no vacuum pump, no cooling fan, no power steering/brakes, etc) so taking it to a shop is out (unless someone has a idea better than removing the compressor to have someone "qualified" look at it?).

Thanks!

redbird2
04-21-2006, 22:30
there is special puller to remove the front of the clutch for repacement, if you have a Auto-Zone, O Rilley's auto parts most of them have loaner tool programs go pick up the right tool for the job makes it a lot easier yeas when you buy a new clutch assembly it come with ever thing bearing magnitic coil fairly easy to change

If I remember correctly there is a way to pull the pulley by using a bolt that threads into the front of the clutch not sure will look at one in the morning I have one setting it the shop for engine R&R

good luck

BobND
04-21-2006, 22:47
Price the complete assembly... compressor and clutch, before worrying about separating them.

Often, the whole assembly, ready to install, is priced very close to either the clutch or the compressor separately.

Usually, if one part fails, the other is on it's way out, too.

johnny2can
04-22-2006, 20:27
BobND, how do I remove the refrigerant prior to removing the old compressor?

I'm not a big fan of venting refrigerant to the atmosphere... even if it's R134A. I'll give it consideration if there's a reasonable way to remove the refrigerant... otherwise I'll probably just do the piecemeal approach.

Thanks to both of you for your input!

BobND
04-22-2006, 20:41
Lacking a recovery machine, you can set a spare refrigerant container on the floor next to the vehicle, and connect it to the system with a refrigerant hose.

Given ENOUGH time, MOST (by weight) of the refrigerant will migrate to the lowest level, the container.

Or, do it the quick and proper way, and find a reasonable shop that will recover it for you.

If replacing the compressor and receiver, the system will need to be evacuated, anyway.

ZZ
04-23-2006, 20:24
I don't know about these newer compressors, but on my '90 with the R4 compressor; the clutch kit was only $10 less than a whole rebuilt compressor.