PDA

View Full Version : new GM diesel

D-max Man
04-21-2006, 08:36
Got some more info on the new GM diesel.

It is just that - A GM diesel - not a Duramax - not Isuzu!

It is a 4.8l V-8 that is supposed to replace the 6.5L in the 1500 series trucks & SUV's.

I don't know much more than that at this time but it is not a D-Max design.

DMaxPiston
04-21-2006, 12:56
You are correct that it is a GM developed engine. The displacement on it is actually a 4.5L and is going under the RPO code of LMK.

spongebob
04-21-2006, 15:50
hopefully the designers arnt the same as the ones that designed the 1st GM diesels..

DmaxMaverick
04-21-2006, 18:41
hopefully the designers arnt the same as the ones that designed the 1st GM diesels..

Why not???

The design was fine. It was the implementation of the design that caused the issues. The bean counters caused the failures, not the design. Peninsular, GEP, AM general, and others, are all using the original design, just implementing it correctly, and successfully. GM didn't design the electronic fuel injection. Blame that on Stanadyne, not GM.

I sincerely hope the new engine(s) are built on the previous designs. It'll be fine, as long as the bean counters don't get too much say in the matter. If the Duramax fails in the future, it will be for the same reason.

D-max Man
04-24-2006, 08:16
Many of the engineers on this engine are former Detroit Diesel engineers who were hired by GM in the past 2-3 years.

My guess is that this engine will have many similarities to the Delta Diesel engine that Detroit designed but that project was shut down when Daimler bought the company.

SS396
04-26-2006, 07:19
DMaxMav,

I think Spongebob was referring to the 5.7L Olds Diesel, that was a piece of junk. The 6.2 replaced that one of course.

If I recall correctly, wasn't the 6.2 developed by Detroit Engineers, too.

D-max Man
04-26-2006, 19:16
I used to beleive that too but sense I started working at Detroit Diesel I have been told that they didn't develop that engine - GM did it on their own but as their reputation for diesels was shot, they turned it over to Detroit Diesel for some credibility and product support.

Driveshaft
04-28-2006, 19:00
The Olds 5.7 Diesel Was An Olds 403 Gas Engine Converted To Diesel, Iirc. That's Why It Didn't Do Well.

DmaxMaverick
04-28-2006, 20:19
There were 2 V-8 Diesel engines ever put into a consumer pickup that were converted from gas engines. Both of them were IH/Navistar.

In spite of GM Diesel history, all of them were designed from the ground up as a Diesel engine. The similarities they share with gas engines is due to their application, not their history. GM's intention was to design a Diesel engine that would be usable in the same chassis as its gas counterparts, with minimal external differences. This is why all the accessories, trannies, motor mounts, etc. are interchangeable. Some of the features, such as the vacuum pump, were designed from platforms already familiar to the engineers.

I've had two 5.7's (1 car and 1 truck), and loved them both. Excellent mileage and reliability, just no power. The last couple years of the 5.7 were on par, and very comparible with the 6.2/6.5 in every way.

D-max Man
04-29-2006, 18:49
I hear that o'l converted gas engine line alot. Seems like someone has conveinced alot of people that GM just turned a gas engine into a diesel but Maverick is correct, GM designed it from ground up as a diesel.

They just released it before all of the bugs were out of it in an effort to be the first American car company to the market with a diesel.

It was released in 1978. My dad had one and he got 28 mpg in a 1/2 ton pick up so he bought my mom an olds delta 88 diesel in 1979 (That one was a real headache). and the first couple of years were where most of the problems occured but after 1981 they were pretty dependable engines. By that time however, they had already gotten a bad rap. My neighbor had a 1981 and he put over 300,000 miles on it.

I know a few guys who drag race Oldsmobiles and they love the diesel blocks because they were built stronger and their gas heads would bolt right on.

6.5NOVA
05-14-2006, 03:08
D-max man,

Do you have any more info on this new engine? (i am a litle inquisitive)

D-max Man
05-17-2006, 08:12
Only that it is actually going to be a 4.5 liter not a 4.8.