PDA

View Full Version : Help identify this 6.5 block

6.6/6.5
04-23-2006, 12:31
I posted this question to the original thread "New 6.5 Owner - Engine Missing", but haven't received any replies so a new thread seemed to be in order.

The noisy, oil burning, 6.5 engine was removed for replacement. Out of curiousity I removed the pan to check the bottom end looking for answers for the engine's problems. The skirt of piston #8 was heavily scored and the recent overhaul was terrible. Heavy beads of RTV were squeezed from every joint --- with 2 to 3 times more RTV being used than was required. Capscrews were not in correct locations, some items, like the fuel line brackets hadn't been attached and were left hanging, etc., etc. However, the block is a mystery to me. I expected a run-of-the-mill mid-90's block, but this one has splayed center main bearing caps, having socket head capscrews in the outer locations. The caps appear to be castings with the word "REVIVA" moulded into the area between the inner capscrews. I understand that John Kennedy's splayed caps are machined from billet material, so what is the source of these splayed mains and this block? (The block has been machined to provide "registers" for the center main caps very similar to John's installation.) The rest of the bottom end appears to be in good shape. If a complete disassembly doesn't raise any red flags like main bearing webbing cracks or crankshaft issues, should the engine be rebored and overhauled, or should I proceed with my plans to install a replacement engine? Again, any suggestions, comments, and/or recommendations will be appreciated.

ronniejoe
04-23-2006, 12:40
Photos might help.

Are the caps flat all the way across the splitline? You said the registers were machined, so they probably are. DAS offered some splayed caps for a while that were different than Kennedy's.

6.6/6.5
04-24-2006, 19:37
Well, at least I have been able to answer one of my questions! My block (engine?) was originally remanufactured by the REVINA COMPANY of Minneapolis, MN. I scraped through the lousy paint job and found a decal on one of the rocker covers indicating the engine was remanufactured at one time by REVINA. Their web site (www.revinaco.com) indicates that they have engineered a splayed intermediate main bearing cap design for GM 6.5 diesel engines and the intermediate caps in my engine have the REVINA logo between the inner cap screws. So, I now know the original source of the remanufactured engine.

The subsequent "overhaul" was done recently, most likely by a non-professional mechanic. One head was replaced and a lot of RTV sealant was used. At some point, the engine was overheated, based upon the amount of cylinder wall and piston skirt scoring for cylinders #7 and #8, especially #8. Upon closer examination, the inner valve spring for the #8 intake valve is broken, as suggested earlier by Warren96. It is fairly obvious that the oil burning was caused by the scored pistons/bores and the noise was caused by the broken valve spring. While it would be interesting to build up the engine using the splayed bearing cap block, the overall condition of the engine, the turbocharger, the injection pump, questionable heads, and the necessity to bore the block to next cylinder oversize suggests that a remanufactured replacement is the prudent solution.

Thanks for the responses to my three threads about this engine and its installation. My short period of TDP membership has been rewarding by learning from the experience and expertise of other members who have been very generous with their comments and responses. Thanks to all of you.

ronniejoe
04-24-2006, 20:17
That's interesting on the Revina angle. Never heard of them. It may not be what you're looking for, but be sure to check out the link in my signature.

By the way, the link you put in your earlier post for Revina doesn't work for me. I tried Google and couldn't find them either.

6.6/6.5
04-25-2006, 06:23
Ron, the reason that the link didn't work is because I misspelled the name. Try www.revivaco.com I just tried this address and it worked for me. Sorry about the mistake ----.

ronniejoe
04-25-2006, 17:03
Thaaanks!;)

Kennedy
04-26-2006, 06:36
Reviva was called Dealers a few years back. They have discontuinued building 6.5 engines on their own due to QC and warranty issues and now resell the 6.5 new block etc. that was formerly offered (available through KD) by Powrbilt. These engines have been flawless and are the only production engines that I will offer.

The Dealers caps were a cast stepped design as I understand. I know of at least one purchaser who had one fail with just over a year old. Main bolts in the pan, and no warranty. The selling dealer would not go to bat for him...

john8662
04-27-2006, 08:32
Interesting outcome...

Never heard of reviva before, but do recognize their website, as I had stumbled upon it looking for a Cat 3208 engine in the past. Their 6.5's look kinda junky from the image.

None the less, I'm really interested in comparing splayed caps, I'd like to see an image of the caps and machine work (one cap removed) if possible!

J

6.6/6.5
04-28-2006, 09:03
John, I'm sorry but I've reassembled the engine as it will be the core for a replacement engine. The middle main bearing caps in the REVIVA configuration look very similar to the Kennedy splayed caps except they are castings (with the REVIVA logo cast into the surface between the inner capscrews). The "register" area is approximately .150 in. deep extending to within about .50 in. of the inner pan rail planes. The caps extend, width wise, to nearly the inner walls of the pan. The drilled and tapped holes for the splayed socket head capscrews extend into the pan rail portions of the block. The machining of the bearing caps appeared good --- the caps were machined on all surfaces with exception of the surface between the heads of the inner capscrews. Again, I apologize for not taking any pictures (yes, I know the "a picture is worth a thousand words" bit), but I hope that this description provides at least a partial response to your request.

john8662
04-28-2006, 09:27
Thanks for the response, I do appreciate the description, it does sound all too familar to the KD caps I have installed in a block.