PDA

View Full Version : Oil Leak

WayneT
04-23-2006, 16:51
I am having difficulty locating the source of a leak in my 6.2L rebuild project. A 2mm (1/16th) pin stream jet of oil is spraying up from the back top of the engine and I have had no luck finding it. Can you give me any ideas?

I have put in a new vaccum pump and gasket. Where the oil jets up seems to be to the right and back of the vaccum pump. I can get the engine to start (running rough as this is the beginning of my quest to get this truck up and running), but obviously don't think its a good idea to run it for any time!

Any help would be hugely appreciated.

many thanks

Wayne

DennisG01
04-24-2006, 08:43
If it was me, I would start the engine, get some really good light shining down in there and start looking. Maybe a small hand-held mirror or one of those 'mirror on a stick' things would help. Of course, keep an eye on your oil level. Also, put a few rags where the oil is landing so you don't make too much of a mess!

JeepSJ
04-28-2006, 13:51
That is the area where the oil pressure sender lives. It is in the back of the block, just about in the center.

WayneT
04-28-2006, 20:33
Thanks to everyone that responded for the help. I bought a oil pressure sending unit that I am planning to install tomorrow if it doesn't rain. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
I bought my 84 chevy 6.2 from a guy that pulled out a gasser and installed the 6.2. He didn't complete the job and I have had to finnish it. I've taken care of several problems including installing a vaccum pump that was missing. I hope that the oil pressure sending unit is the last thing.

Wayne Thacker