PDA

View Full Version : Fuel return lines melted

markrinker
12-21-2005, 05:59
#2 was smoking badly from under the hood, my first thought was a blown head gasket, or worse.

Turns out at least one of the injector return lines melted behind the heat shield under the turbo on the passenger's side. Once the truck up on a hoist, you could see the diesel dripping off the back of the heat shield on to the exhaust manifold.

Any ideas why this would happen after so many miles? Also, the farthest back injector on the same side appears wet. Might be from the same leak, but do injectors ever start leaking externally???

arveetek
12-21-2005, 07:22
Yes, injectors can start leaking externally. I would replace all the return lines, at least on that bank, including the cap on #8, before looking for an injector leak. Those return line leaks can make it look like a leaking injector, so you have to make sure the lines are good and tight.

I've had two injector leaks. The first occured on my 6.2L after about 100K miles on rebuilt injectors. It started leaking out of the body of the injector where the top and bottom halves meet. Actually, I think I had two injectors start leaking on the 6.2L, can't quite remember now. I replaced both of them.

The second time I had an injector leak, was immediately after installing 'new' injectors in my freshly rebuilt 6.2L. One leaked from the start, at the same area, where the top and bottom screw together. I took it out and tightened it up, and it stopped leaking, but then it didn't seem to run right. I replaced the injector and it's better, but now I question the quality of the injector rebuilds. I wish now I had spent the money for quality injectors from Kennedy. You get what you pay for.

Casey

Hubert
12-21-2005, 20:06
It gets dang hot in that area. Hot EGT in stop and go traffic plus deterioring material? I had some plastic wire loom melt on wire running to the starter behind the shield so it gets that hot. Any ice build up in the wheel well and underneath to prohibit air flow to cool area?

Don't laugh at the ice jacket theory eskimo's live in an ice igloo don't they.

markrinker
12-22-2005, 03:35
The wheel wells were open, but the truck has recently overheated with an inexperienced driver running down the road with trailer, skidsteer and snow plow raised fully/not angled. It ****d out all the coolant, so you know it got hot.

Kids.

Anyway that was probably enough to do it.

Dvldog 8793
12-22-2005, 04:26
Howdy
Could be a cracked line instead of melted? We used to cracked line problems in the Marines. This would be on trucks that were 10yrs old with less than 10,000 miles. When I had my engine out I covered all the lines and wires with high heat split loom.
L8r
Conley

DA BIG ONE
12-23-2005, 03:53
If it turns out to be burnt hoses consider installing firesleeve over hoses when your in there!

Kennedy
12-23-2005, 08:40
Could have just wore through also if it was in direct contact. The OE style rubbers are pretty low grade.

TurboDiverArt
12-30-2005, 08:58
Originally posted by arveetek:
The second time I had an injector leak, was immediately after installing 'new' injectors in my freshly rebuilt 6.2L. One leaked from the start, at the same area, where the top and bottom screw together. I took it out and tightened it up, and it stopped leaking, but then it didn't seem to run right. I replaced the injector and it's better, but now I question the quality of the injector rebuilds. I wish now I had spent the money for quality injectors from Kennedy. You get what you pay for.

Casey Care to say who the rebuilt injectors were from?

Art.

arveetek
12-30-2005, 13:58
Originally posted by TurboDiverArt:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by arveetek:

Casey Care to say who the rebuilt injectors were from?

Art. </font>[/QUOTE]The injectors came from www.accuratediesel.com (http://www.accuratediesel.com). I have since found out that Tim at Accurate Diesel does rebuild the injection pumps himself, but he buys the injectors already rebuilt from a third party. I have received excellent service from him, though. I'm just not sure what quality the injectors are.

Casey