PDA

View Full Version : 4L80E Torqconverter recomendations

Kent
04-24-2006, 17:15
I am looking for recomendations for the best converter out there, or one that someone is using that can handle a maxed out 6.5 at or obove 2000 rpms in lock up.
With the stock one i have now pulling around 20k the converter starts to slip if i give it anymore than around 16 lbs of boost, in drive or OD. Seems to hold good till it is really up to temp. I am running a transcooler that may not be big enough, will put the tech 1 on for a day and monitor.

Thanks / Kent

markelectric
04-24-2006, 18:00
I really liked my ATS triple lock. Would do anything that the 6.5 could put out. Ran MUCH cooler...

Kent
04-24-2006, 18:34
Thanks Mark, please send me all the info you have on your ATS. Either here or to estesautomotive@yahoo.com . Really appriciate it. Kent

dieseldummy
04-24-2006, 20:36
IIRC, Suncoast has a few things for the 4l80e. I was looking into better torque convertors a while back and found that quite a few places make them, but not to many have much diesel background. ATS and Suncoast do, but they sure are pricey...

Kent
04-24-2006, 23:06
Wish i could find a website that had info on the diesel version. Summit has a TCI unit but it is not diesel specific. I like what ATS has to say about their unit, but i havent found anything specific to a 6.5 install.

DA BIG ONE
04-25-2006, 06:42
I am looking for recomendations for the best converter out there, or one that someone is using that can handle a maxed out 6.5 at or obove 2000 rpms in lock up.
With the stock one i have now pulling around 20k the converter starts to slip if i give it anymore than around 16 lbs of boost, in drive or OD. Seems to hold good till it is really up to temp. I am running a transcooler that may not be big enough, will put the tech 1 on for a day and monitor.

Thanks / Kent

How did you confirm the converter clutch is slipping instead of the other clutches inside tranny?

Judging from the year truck you have there are tranny mods/updates that are needed to handle the power/torque form mods, see http://www.transhardparts.com/

You need a low stall converter, valve body modified for off road/towing, kevlar clutches, premiun steels.

Kent
04-25-2006, 08:05
Well, a 4L80E that is in good condition with a eprom like the one i have in there will easily handle a full on 6.5. I run Amsoil atf and when the tranny fluid and filter are changed there isnt so much as a film on the bottom of the pan, i mean it is clean @ 40k on the oil. That is 90% tow mi, with loads Between 15 and 24k . That being said,

with solid shifts all the way up, at freeway speeds, 75 mph locked up in od with 2200 on the tach. At times, mostly when it's real heavy, i can watch the boost up around 16, tach steady and bring more fuel on, at or near full pedal and observe the tach climb approx 200 rpm, lift a smidge the converter will stick, bring it all on watch the tach come up 200. If you werent paying attention, you would never know.

It will do the exact same thing in drive, but it has to be on a grade that the truck wont hold speed on in 3rd locked up. Hope that explains it. I know these tranny's quite well, it's just one of those things that you know, ya know.
Now on the other hand, if i want to tow around 80 to 85 mph it is not a issue, the converter will stay in there. I hate towing that fast, but really it likes to run up there. Bottom line with that is , the truck is geared wrong. 3:73 with tall tires = faster than you want to go where it likes to pull in OD.
And just about rite if you like to drive 65 in 3rd.

Kent
This engine combo pulls excellent,

DA BIG ONE
04-25-2006, 15:55
Well, a 4L80E that is in good condition with a eprom like the one i have in there will easily handle a full on 6.5. I run Amsoil atf and when the tranny fluid and filter are changed there isnt so much as a film on the bottom of the pan, i mean it is clean @ 40k on the oil. That is 90% tow mi, with loads Between 15 and 24k . That being said,

with solid shifts all the way up, at freeway speeds, 75 mph locked up in od with 2200 on the tach. At times, mostly when it's real heavy, i can watch the boost up around 16, tach steady and bring more fuel on, at or near full pedal and observe the tach climb approx 200 rpm, lift a smidge the converter will stick, bring it all on watch the tach come up 200. If you werent paying attention, you would never know.

It will do the exact same thing in drive, but it has to be on a grade that the truck wont hold speed on in 3rd locked up. Hope that explains it. I know these tranny's quite well, it's just one of those things that you know, ya know.
Now on the other hand, if i want to tow around 80 to 85 mph it is not a issue, the converter will stay in there. I hate towing that fast, but really it likes to run up there. Bottom line with that is , the truck is geared wrong. 3:73 with tall tires = faster than you want to go where it likes to pull in OD.
And just about rite if you like to drive 65 in 3rd.

Kent
This engine combo pulls excellent,

Just to be sure I'd check tranny pressures at the point of slippage especially if when you go a little faster it won't slip!

dieseldummy
04-25-2006, 21:39
My '93 used to do that when I towed real heavy in lockup. It would kick in and out fairly fast though... If the trans were slipping it would have gone into limp mode most likely. When the trans is out for the tq convertor it would be a good time to add a good valve body kit and a few other goodies.

Kent
04-26-2006, 00:00
The trans never comes out of lock up , it just wont hold at full pedal when it is good and warmed up. Youd never know it unless you were watching the tach.

Justin, how are you liking the Dmax?

Kennedy
04-26-2006, 06:16
Kent, I sent you an email in response to your voice message. If you did not get it, I can resend.

dieseldummy
04-26-2006, 08:27
Dmax is great, made 486HP and 977 TQ on Sat and got better than 20 MPG on the trip to do it.:eek: I can honestly say that I'll never tow heavy with a 6.5 again after having it around.

Kent
04-26-2006, 16:51
Thanks JK, erace the email addy you have on me and use this one from now on. estesautomotive@yahoo.com

Justin that is fantastic!!