PDA

View Full Version : Questions about cooling with fuel line

mtroadkil
04-24-2006, 21:51
Hello, I'm new to all of this so please bare with me. I do not own a Duramax yet...I need to know if it is possible to run the fuel line straight to the filter without it cooling the electronic box it does from the factory? The reason that I ask this is I would like to run a SVO/WVO (straight veggie oil/waste veggie oil) system. If you are not sure what this is it's basically starting and warming up to 180 the SVO/WVO and then switching to this fuel and off of the diesel...you need to start and stop on diesel or it can sludge up your lines.
Any way to my question since the veggie oil is heated if it passed through the electonic box (forgive me that I don't know what it is or does) that was supposed to be cooled by the fuel and now it's hot ????? It seems that it's not gonna work to good!!!
Maybe I will have to make biodiesel instead???!!!
Please let me know what you think.... I was thinking just by pass it( the box)
Thanks. if possible to email me that would be great. I'm moving and it's easier to check email mtroadkil@verizon....hope it's ok to say that.
Thanks for the help a head of time.
John

DmaxMaverick
04-24-2006, 22:21
You shouldn't have to worry about it, either way. The "heated" w/svo isn't going to be hot enough to overheat the EDU, and the oil will still pull heat out of it. In any case, you wouldn't want to stop the flow of fuel through the EDU, because then it will overheat.

The LBZ's don't have an EDU, so if you are looking at new (later 2006), it's not even in the picture.

mtroadkil
04-25-2006, 05:15
Thanks for the response. Is it possible to put a newer ECU unit on a 2001-2002 Duramax? Budget restraints allow that I would purchase an older model...the kids have gotten into the habit of eatting at least three times a day!!!!

DmaxMaverick
04-25-2006, 05:45
No. They are not compatible. The fuel injection systems are very different, as is the entire electrical system from 2003 and up, and the LBZ is different again for the mid 2006 M/Y. 2001-2004 is LB7. 2004.5-2006 is LLY. 2006.5 is the LBZ. Depending on which state the truck was delivered to (like CA and some east coast states), it may also have EGR and a cat. None of the 2001's had them, regardless of delivery state. This is the main reason I'm hanging on to my '01.

I'm not familiar enough with burning veggie oil to offer advice on it, but there are a couple members here that are doing it. There was no mention of bypassing the EDU that I recall. Unless you installed an independent cooling system for the EDU, it would have to stay in the fuel loop all the time. It gets pretty hot. The fuel return line has a cooling core in front of the fuel tank to dump much of the heat. I can't recommend you use the veggie oil, but the EDU, IMO, would be a non issue, and I'd be sure it's left in the fuel system, whichever fuel you are sending to the pump. If necessary, you could isolate the EDU from the fuel system entirely, and devise a cooling system for it. It shouldn't be too difficult. You could even use an existing rear end cooling system, like Nascar uses. A hot-shot operator I know installs the rear end coolers on all his trucks. I think they can be had at SummitRacing (http://www.summitracing.com).

Sounds like an interesting project. If it works, it'll go far with today's fuel prices!

SoTxPollock
04-26-2006, 10:34
Just curious, where are you going to find a constant supply of WVO when driving away from your normal location? Sounds a little complicated for what little difference in price you might have to pay between the veggie oil and diesel. What happens if you forget to switch it off and get back on diesel before you shut it off? What about warranty using any other but the fuel that GM says must be used? Suggest doing some math and trying to calculate the differences before you actually do that. Hey if its worth it and saves you a lot of money, why not, except your state tax and federal tax for highway use might rear its ugly head if you do it long enough. Just some of thoughts to ponder, not trying to discourage you. We need all the help we can get in the fuel supply and high price arena.

JohnC
04-26-2006, 11:26
... 2004.5-2006 is LLY. 2006.5 is the LBZ.

Actually the hardware of the 2006 LLY is identical to the LBZ. The only difference is software.