PDA

View Full Version : New Gauges

Herman_Bolger
04-25-2006, 17:35
We have a 1993 gmc dually that we use to pull boats around. We just installed some auto meter electrical gauges, oil pres, oil temp, water temp, mech boost, and last but not least an exhaust temp.
Our engine is a stock jobber rebuild, bought the truck this way. What would be an exeptable exhaust temp? Just driveing around i think we are running about 450-500f, if i get on it a bit the temp goes to about 800f. is that normal? the temps fluctuates very quickly.
We have an aftermarket 4" exhaust, no cat, open element air intake, our own fab. The exhaust probe is pre turbo, we drilled into the small flat boss just below the flange.
We are getting ready to pick up our new 40' tandam dually boat trailer, it's alittle bigger than what we need but biggers better!
Anyway, just need a little guidance on exhaust and oil temps, I was thinking about a trans temp, is it worthwhile? Oh ya, I noticed that the most boost that I could get on the gauge was about 3-4 lbs, is that right? It has the factory diaphram, is it supposed to be that low? How much can a stock motor take?
This motor has about 10,000 mi.
Thanks
Herman

MTTwister
04-26-2006, 07:59
Herman
My exhaust probe is pre-turbo also.
Driving around town ( I'm at 5300', and have 'hills', just below the Continental Divide here) I see about 400-450

Herman_Bolger
04-27-2006, 18:48
Thanks, I have not had an exhaust temp gauge before, so i was just making sure it was working properly, it reacts very quickly. Were did you install your trans temp sender?

Thanks

Bnave95
04-28-2006, 03:50
boost that I could get on the gauge was about 3-4 lbs, is that right--------
Herman
Your spring can maybe weak. Once you start towing a load you should see around 7psi and that is still low. With more boost you will have lower EGT.
In your case you would do better if you installed Bill Heath turbo master and set it to give max boost at 10psi,your egt will be lower during a load.
My egt runs around 550*@65mph and can see 1100* at times on a up grade pull. Pulling 10K TT on a stright pull the egt will see 800-950*@65mph.
Gauges are a must for towing. Sounds like you have it going on:D
I myself have'nt installed a trans temp gauge and I keep my fluid changed. Always bright red and never a burn't smell.

jeffscarstrucks
04-28-2006, 10:55
I am at the same point you are exept that I have added a turbo-master. Just uping the boost to 7lbs while towing under a load made a huge difference. I wish I would have done this a few years ago when I first started reading this board! Let us know how it goes, JEFF

MTTwister
04-28-2006, 12:36
Herman - There is an "inspection" port - for testing trans temps, or pressure, or something, on the drivers side, just above the shift mechanism. I had to loosen the shift mechanism mounting bracket to get to it, but the temp probe was a screw in fit. Oh, didn't leak when I removed the plug to insert the probe, either. If you can't locate it, I'll try and dig up better instructions on hoe to find it, but it should be the only plug n the vicinity.

Good Luck!

Herman_Bolger
04-30-2006, 18:26
Thanks for getting back with some temps and conditions, I did not know that there was an " inspection " port, never heard of such a thing but I will certanly look there, if its there that will be great.
Any advice on an oil temp location? I just came back from a 7hr run to pick our "new to me" 40' tandem dually boat transport trailer, the empty trailer weighs about 4,000 lbs. We pulled it back at about 70 mph, 2200 rpm the exhaust temp was about 700 on the flats wich was exactly the same as driving up empty, on some small inclines (its pretty flat here) the temp went to 900, but as soon as we reached the top the temps came down to 700 quite quickly.
The boost never went past 4 lbs, even going up the hills. I have a mech injector pump, so there is no electronics to complicate things, I have seen a couple of differant boost controlers, any have experiance either good or bad with any brands, the sales guys all say theirs are the best.
I read a couple threads before that 10-12 lbs is max for a stock motor, will I notice the differance?
It seems to run pretty good since i put the 4" exhaust and our home made air filter tube on, we made it out of 3" mandrel bent tubing,it curves around and the filter is at the cowl, right by the brake booster. Oh ya we have a 3" cowl hood, that lets lots of cold air in.
If I knew how to add pics to this email I could show you, it's kind of col, now you can hear the turbo spool up.
I need to update our profile, spent lots of time on this old girl this winter, never had a diesel before,their cool, a lot differant than the 7.4's that I thought were the best?
We use this combo to haul boats to and from our shop, we get some 12-15000 lb boats, good thing they have a pointed end, a little more areodynamic than some of those big trailers you guys pull, hopefully a little easier on the truck.

Herman

Herman_Bolger
04-30-2006, 18:36
Oh ya guys, I forgot to ask a fairly important question, what should the max temp ever get to??

Herman

Bnave95
05-01-2006, 03:32
Go with the Turbo Master and dial in 10* of boost and you will see a big difference. Could also then turn up the pump a little for even more power;)
With my Turbo Master I'll see 10* with a light foot taking off and 12* max.

Bnave95
05-01-2006, 03:39
Oh ya guys, I forgot to ask a fairly important question, what should the max temp ever get to??

Herman
Can you stay under 210*? The cooling up grade is the best way to go if towing these heavy loads. With my cooling upgrade running 195*stats. 205* would be the most I see with 90-95* out side temps.

Herman_Bolger
05-01-2006, 18:48
How about exhaust temps??? I have to go and fill the truck up soon, I want to check the MPG, I don't know why I just want to. I do know that it gets better milage than my 4x4 S10. Drove for 7 hrs @ 70mph and used about 3/4 of a tank.

Herman

Bnave95
05-02-2006, 05:03
How about exhaust temps??? I have to go and fill the truck up soon, I want to check the MPG, I don't know why I just want to. I do know that it gets better milage than my 4x4 S10. Drove for 7 hrs @ 70mph and used about 3/4 of a tank.

Herman
Stay under 1200*EGT. Also with more boost the EGT will be lower.
Coolent temps can be very hard on heads so 210* is ok but lower temps are better.
BTW you should market you rear set up:D

Herman_Bolger
05-04-2006, 18:47
Thanks for the exh temps, I do understand that the 6.5's are temp sensitive, thats why I put all these gauges in, looks cool to.
The rear air ride was a one off thing, which is a little off. We tried to lower the truck a bit, We lowered the rear 4" and the front, because it's 4x4, could drop it down about 1". Well that gave the truck a "level stance" but it has been a pain to get aligned because it throws the caster way out. Also because we tow many differant boat trailers it throws the hitch hieghts all off, we had to turn our recievers upside down,to raise them up, what a pain. Sooo, what to do? We are now going to redo the rear air susp. Put it back to factory ride height get it realigned and it should behave better.
The ride quality is very comfortable and very stable, no sway when loaded, I really like it. It was definetly a learning experiance.
I will post my MPG as soon as i figure it out, just to see how it compares to others that "work" their trucks.
I think I am going to order a turbomaster, no matter what I do I can't get more that 3-4 lbs of boost.

Herman

Herman_Bolger
05-14-2006, 18:02
Just in case anybody was interested, 3.5 hrs of empty driveing,3.5 hrs pulling a 4000 lb empty boat trailer, avg 14.7 m/us gal. If I can keep 10m/gal loaded I'm happy

Herman

sturgeon-phish
02-24-2007, 20:27
Herman - There is an "inspection" port - for testing trans temps, or pressure, or something, on the drivers side, just above the shift mechanism. I had to loosen the shift mechanism mounting bracket to get to it, but the temp probe was a screw in fit. Oh, didn't leak when I removed the plug to insert the probe, either. If you can't locate it, I'll try and dig up better instructions on hoe to find it, but it should be the only plug n the vicinity.

Good Luck!
MTTwister or anyone, is the inspection port an ~ 1/8 NPT with a square plug?
Thank you!