PDA

View Full Version : Turbo Timer

rdurh
04-26-2006, 08:56
I

Craig M
04-26-2006, 09:32
Check out www.pre-luber.com. This system will allow you to do what you state plus also prepresurize the engine oil prior to starting you vehicle. Sounds like a nice system if a little pricey.

moondoggie
04-26-2006, 10:37
Good Day!

Seems odd that this would be a problem. Unless leaving each traffic stop light or sign as though launching at the strip (full foot-feed, hold 'er with the brakes), I can't imagine this being an issue. It certainly is an issue if pulling a trailer in the summer; I'll be interested to hear if our experts think if this should be an issue for a Blazer that's not pulling anything. The only time I've idled my pickup or Sub to it cool down was when it's really hot during the summer, A/C on.

I wonder if simply using synthetic oil might not be enough? I know any synthetic has MUCH better stability at higher temperatures. My story: Our furnace quit the 2nd winter after I installed it. It was because the exhaust blower motor oil had coked up. (The squirrel cage is in the furnace exhaust on a long motor shaft.) A couple drops of oil & it was running fine again. Unfortunately, I had to repeat this every couple weeks. Then a couple years ago I switched everything I own to 5W-40 Synthetic Rotella, including the oil can for the furnace. I added a couple drops to that blower, & never again that winter - the superior high-temp performance of this oil, compared to the normal motor oil I had been using, requires re-lubing this motor at greatly reduced intervals, maybe yearly instead of every week or two.

Blessings!

rdurh
04-26-2006, 11:29
I just don't want to have to go back through cleaning up the turbo if it "cokes" up again. It's done that once, but there were other issues with the turbo system at that time. Those items have been taken care of but I've been told the engine should be allowed to idle until the EGTs get down to 300 degrees. I have enough of a grade going up to my house that when I park the truck in the driveway the EGTs are usually around 450 to 500 degrees.