PDA

View Full Version : Another Predator Question

KayCee
04-26-2006, 16:49
I have decided to purchase the Predator for my 02 2500 HD D/A. I currently do not have enough money for a larger exhaust and/or gauges also but I do plan on gauges, at least, as soon as possible. I have a magnaflow muffler and a AFE drop in air filter with numerous holes punched in the air box. If I am not trailering anything heavy, can I run the 40 / 65 hp safely until I get the gauges ?

I know this stuff is getting beat to death but I gotta feel comfortable running it this way otherwise I will just wait until I can afford everything.

Thanks for any advice.

Kennedy
04-26-2006, 19:06
In my experience, you'll run out of transmission before EGT gets hot enough to hurt anything unless there is a freak occurrence/mechanical issue, or you totally abuse your truck.

Mark Rinker
04-26-2006, 19:14
Its all up to you and your right foot. I think you can run that fine. I have run the same tune on my '01 LB7 and its a nice tune. Smooth shifts and transitions.

You'll know if it isn't right - too much rattle, smoke or harst shifting.

KayCee
04-27-2006, 17:24
Your opinions are much respected and appreciated and I thank you all again for taking the time to respond to us non-mechanics/techs. My wife told me the other day that it will be approx. 8 yrs. before I pay the truck off so I didn't wanna do something really foolish -- then again she does exaggerate at times when it comes to my toys.

Mark Rinker
04-28-2006, 07:39
I did some tests yesterday with no trailer and no propane.

On my '01 LB7, the Predator is good for 'daily driving' on either of the first two stages, IMO. The last two stages are BIG fun, but EGTs get high, too much smoke, and 'too-touchy' throttle pedal. (Save those for Saturdays.)