PDA

View Full Version : intake modification question

signgrafix
04-27-2006, 21:05
I just bought a non EGR intake manifold and I am going to open it up and smoth it out. I discovered on the inside of the top half of the intake is a round cylinder extention. It seem to serve no purpose. What would happen if I grind this out of there?

john8662
04-27-2006, 22:40
I had mine removed from my upper intake. The later 96+ upper intakes don't have this cast into them. Go for it!

J

MTTwister
04-28-2006, 12:39
http://www.kennedydiesel.com/ - tech tips -6.5 intake mods. May address what you're looking for

john8662
04-28-2006, 14:26
Here is what I had done to mine...

signgrafix
04-28-2006, 20:11
http://www.kennedydiesel.com/ - tech tips -6.5 intake mods. May address what you're looking for
Yes, thanks for the tip but I have seen the tips already. Actually that is what made me want to do mine. I bought an extra intake and I am going to take mine to a guy in our area that is a real good port and polish head and intake guy. I am going to have him open the intake up as much as possible. Obviously, I am limited with the runners but he can smooth them out and polish them.

signgrafix
04-28-2006, 20:14
Here is what I had done to mine...
Looks good. You know I was looking at the intake and when you really think about it, the 6.5 is really restricted. All you have is that small opening and then when you get to the area just before the plenium chamber it is kind of thein in that area.

Bnave95
04-28-2006, 21:34
Yes, thanks for the tip but I have seen the tips already. Actually that is what made me want to do mine. I bought an extra intake and I am going to take mine to a guy in our area that is a real good port and polish head and intake guy. I am going to have him open the intake up as much as possible. Obviously, I am limited with the runners but he can smooth them out and polish them.
Years ago it was once said/thought that polish,ported head and intake has no advantage with a turbo charged Eng?

signgrafix
04-29-2006, 06:47
Years ago it was once said/thought that polish,ported head and intake has no advantage with a turbo charged Eng?
I fiqure it can't hurt.

6 and 1/2 liters
04-29-2006, 18:13
It must make a huge difference on the 6.5 there was a guy who did exteme porting and polishing to his intake and heads and with the stock turbo the truck could no longer make boost. So he upsized the turbo and now it is making exellent power.

signgrafix
04-29-2006, 20:15
It must make a huge difference on the 6.5 there was a guy who did exteme porting and polishing to his intake and heads and with the stock turbo the truck could no longer make boost. So he upsized the turbo and now it is making exellent power.
Man, it would have to be awful extreme since the compression is so high on the 6.5 I don't see where you could use an upsized turbo.
I just fiqure since I am doing work on the intake I might as well do what I can.

6 and 1/2 liters
04-29-2006, 21:08
Sorry I didn't mention it had low compression pistons. The motor is a 93 so it has mechanical injection so the fuel is turned way up injectors crack at 24000 and has re-enginered cross-over pipe which go's under the motor rather than behind and is intercooled. It is running 25 psi of boost at 3000 rpm and will meet with a d-max any time any place. This motor is the greatest thing you will ever see if you are a big 6.5 fan.

signgrafix
04-30-2006, 08:02
A couple months ago I know nothing about Diesels. But I hve been rerading everything I can get my hands on. I hpe my 6.5 last me a ggod while but I think I am going to find me a block and start building one from scratch. The splayed mains, low compression, all the goodies. No big hurry. Just slowly build it.