PDA

View Full Version : Disk Brakes?

christo
04-29-2006, 19:51
I have a 5th wheel with electric/drum brakes.
Have been considering changing to hydraulic disk brakes.
Has anyone done this and is it worth the expense?

Christo

DmaxMaverick
04-29-2006, 20:32
If not for the $$, I wouldn't have a trailer without discs. I've converted a couple trailers for others, but none of mine. Probably won't 'til I have money to burn. Always got somewhere else for it to go.

Is it worth it? That's up to you. They are far and away better than the old standard, but big $$. If you have the, and can justify the need, go for it. I've towed several trailers with discs, and have nothing good to say about electric drums since.

Quietcart
04-30-2006, 20:25
I converted our Titanium 32E37DS to disc last year before a 12,000 mile trip - really worth it - makes it a lot easier to keep the rpm's down on the Duramax with the Allison in grade braking. Used the Hypowered kit with Kodiak discs. Works fine with my Prodigy controller. Easier to set up the Prodigy for good stops than with straight electrics. Pretty easy install if you are into doing your own brake and bearing work. Good time to go thru all the suspension hardware and upgrade/replace worn bits. The Kodiak kits use GM calipers and pads, so replacement is not an issue.

It is nice to know that the rig now has emergency stopping capability, and while I still keep my eye radar on distance mode looking for potential problems, stopping on a downhill grade is now just a stop. Of course, it still pays to allow plenty of margin when towing anything just in case.....

Don

christo
05-01-2006, 07:01
DMAXMAVERICK & QUIETCART;
Thanks for the info and suggestions- good stuff.
Because I have the Dexter axles I was looking at Dexter's disk brake system,
but will now look into the Kodiak system.
They are very expensive but I suppose running into things could be too!!

Christo.

Rollingon
05-01-2006, 14:08
I have the Dexter's and the're a huge improvement over electric/drums. Smoother stops, less fade (I've had none), and so on. There are not cheap, but if you're doing much towing with a heavy trailer I believe they are worth the bucks. Especially in the mountains. Be sure to get the proper controller for them, otherwise they can be jerky.

I had an earlier trailer with Kodiaks and they were good too, however I felt the calipers were just too small for the weight they were stopping. Maybe they're langer now.

Hope this helps

letsgo
05-04-2006, 07:34
I have been looking into disc brake, $2200 for a turn key installation. After being passed at 55mph the woman (with her family ) pulled in front of me slammed on her brakes and made a sharp right hand turnin front of me. with all 5 axils screaming I missed her. BUT I now realize that the new 6 drum drum brake system I installed, isnt enough stopping power.

drive safe

christo
05-04-2006, 20:11
After reading the replies to my quire, I have been looking around the net and find two places that seem to have good prices:
-Tex Trail and Trailer Parts Superstore (800-453-7379).

Christo

SierraGrande
05-08-2006, 17:16
I put a set of Disk Brakes on my 94 King of the Road T T. It is 35ft. and weights about 13500 going down the road. I used Tow Brake International set up, Model Hypowered disc 3000, It is a great improvement over the Elec/Drum brakes. I can panick stop now without being afraid I will run into someone.

christo
05-09-2006, 20:30
Thanks for the tip Sierra Grande.
I will check out the Tow Brake product.