PDA

View Full Version : Part's swap?

Rhoward225
04-29-2006, 20:35
My 2500HD is a 04.5 "LLY", I am at about 230,000 miles & I have been battleing W/ the surgeing problem at idle that alot of "LB7" owners have experianced, since about 115,000 miles. It's gotten really bad lately. Sometimes it will surge 400 to 600 rpm's and w/ foot on brake jump the the truck forward! I got w/ a couple of tech.'s over at local dealer and the balance rates were a little off on #3 and #8 fuel injectors. I would love to put in a new set of injector's, but that $412.00 a peice price tag kinda put the breaks on that!
I'm not really sure why, but MPG was highest at about 75,000 at 24-26mpg running 70-75mph, but then droped to 18-19mpg for a long time and since I started using a new fuel conditioner from Fuel Freedom Internation I have gotten it back up to 21-22mpg. The conditioner is great! http://rhoward.myffi.biz/ !!!!
I don't know if the steady decrease was due to the injectors or not.
I got my hands on a wrecked 05' 3500HD "LLY", and decided to re-energize mine w/ some of it's components.
I first swapped out the solenoid and shaft in the vane control in between the rear and front of the turbo. B/c it sounded like evertime the engine surged, you could here the turbo going wide open, then zipping closed. I noticed that the newer part was designed a little different w/ a screen were the oil line comes in through the top of the turbo. I then swapped EGR control, Bosch electronic parts, pressure sensor, boost sensor, and a few other items. I plan to swap the the injectors, just havn't had time! The surgeing problem has decreased allot, but not eliminated. All of the original parts I took out were kinda covered in gunk, even though I change oil every 8,000 miles and flush it on a regular basis.
W/ the small variations in design of some of these parts, does anyone know if there were continuous upgrages going on from early 04 through 05' on the "LLY", and would it be benificial to swap any of the computer components? Or is it even possible to swap the ECU/ECM from one truck to another w/o serious complications?
I love the truck, and love smoking people from the light all over town and knowing I can hook up to 16,000 + when I need too and have no problem rolling 70-75mph!!!. I've seen a remarkable power increase from what I already had w/ just the parts I have changed out.
Thanks for any help / comments / suggestions anyone might make!

More Power
04-29-2006, 21:51
The surging is likely due to the FPR (Fuel Pressure Regulator). This can be R&R'ed on the Bosch pump, though in your case, I'd replace the whole Bosch pump & FPR as a unit - with the one you acquired.

ECM... Each ECM is programmed with the vehicle VIN number and vehicle configuration. Swapping ECM's might work better than what you've got, might not. In any case, you'd need to perform a Password Learn procedure to get a replacement ECM acquainted with the Passlock security code in your ignition switch and BCM (Body Control Module).

Jim

Rhoward225
04-30-2006, 00:40
Thanks for the insite. I had forgot all about the FPR, I had considered that b/f.
Do U recall any other post or info that might give location/pictures/procedure for changing?
Can U explain what U mean by " password learn procedure " or I already need to replace some of my steering wheel controls and and my turn signal switch has developed a short. Would it work to just swap the ignition cylinder, and BCM.
Thanks, again for the help! Some of us would be at the mercy of exspensive repair shop's if it weren't for U guy's!